One question that arrives sometimes is how to get a fully updated ISA Server 2004 SP3 (plus post SP3 updates) system upgraded (in place) to ISA Server 2006 with SP1 on it. This question comes in a really good moment because I can raise two recent situations that can drive you to make this decision of not use RTM version while upgrading to ISA Server 2006:
· If you have ISA Server 2004 with SP3 you are already used to Logging improvements. By upgrading to ISA Server 2006 RTM you will lose those functionalities since the RTM version of ISA Server 2006 doesn’t have that.
· Some previous experiences showed me that after making an in place upgrade from ISA Server 2004 SP3 to ISA Server 2006 RTM we can potentially get a blue screen (STOP 0x0000007f - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP) due an issue that was fixed by KB944824. This issue was fixed in almost one year ago (previous to SP1) but guess what, RTM version does still having this issue.
So if you are planning this upgrade in place take the following steps to make sure that you are upgrading to ISA Server 2006 with SP1 built in:
1. Copy ISA Server 2006 CD to the C:\ISA Server 2006 Standard\ folder
2. Copy ISA Server 2006 SP1 to the C:\ISA Server 2006 Standard\FPC folder
3. Apply SP1 in the ISA 2006 Installation file by running:
C:\ISA Server 2006 Standard\FPC>Msiexec /a MS_FPC_Server.msi /p ISA2006-KB943462-X86-ENU.msp
4. Follow the Wizard to Apply the SP1.
5. After finish it, launch the Autorun.exe from the C:\ISA Server 2006 Standard folder.
6. Follow the wizard to upgrade you ISA Server 2004 Standard to ISA Server 2006 SP1.
For more information about in place upgrade from ISA Server 2004 to ISA Server 2006 use the official Microsoft Article for each version as show below:
Upgrade Guide for ISA Server 2006 Enterprise Edition
Upgrade Guide for ISA Server 2006 Standard Edition
PingBack from http://mstechnews.info/2008/11/in-place-upgrade-from-isa-server-2004-standard-sp3-to-isa-server-2006-standard-with-sp1/