A follow-up of this posting with screencast is available.
Event subscription has been one of the most requested server features by sys admins. Combined with task scheduling, this is a cost-effective and customizable tool to get a consolidated view of monitored activities and events in target servers, and timely issue alerts. In Windows Server 2008 subscribing and forwarding events with triggers to send out alerts can be done very easily as the following:
1. Create a subscription from Event Viewer.
2. Configure the subscription based on your requirements. The shown configuration settings are for demonstration and not necessarily recommended.
Make sure clicking User and Password and providing the user credentials.
3. Once configured, the subscription is listed as ready. Right-click to start running the task.
4. Now the subscribed events will be listed under the Forward Events log. Notice a subscribed event may take some time to show up in the log after it has occurred at a targeted server. If user credentials and minimizing the latency are specified, the forwarding should happen within a minute or so.
To schedule a task for sending out alerts upon the arrival of a subscribed event,
1. Start Task Scheduler from the Administrative Tools.
2. Configure the task based on your requirements. The shown configuration settings are for demonstration and not necessarily with recommended.
3. Once configured, the task is listed as ready. Right-click to start running the task.