Your Guide to the Latest Windows Server Product Information
An update for Windows Server 2008 Server Manager (KB940518) has been released to integrate Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Service Pack 1 (WSUS 3.0 SP1). This update to Server Manager enables full integration of WSUS 3.0 SP1 into Server Manager, allowing installation, configuration, and management of WSUS 3.0 SP1 using the Server Manager console and wizards.
You can download and install the update for Windows Server 2008 Server Manager from the Microsoft Download Center or from Windows Update.
To download and install updates for Windows Server 2008 Server Manager through Windows Update:
1. Use one of the following methods to open Server Manager:
o Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Manage.
o Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Server Manager.
o Click the Quick Launch bar, and then click Server Manager.
2. Click the Check for New Roles task in the Security Information section.
3. Follow the instructions and open Windows Update.
4. Click Check for updates.
5. Click View available updates.
6. Close the Server Manager and Initial Configuration Tasks windows, if they are open.
7. Select and install Update for Windows Server 2008 Server Manager (KB940518).
To download and install this update for Server Manager, please see the Update Information in the following knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940518.
After you have installed the update for Windows Server 2008 Server Manager, to install WSUS 3.0 SP1:
Note If WSUS 3.0 SP1 is already installed on your computer, you do not have to complete the remaining steps. The Windows Server Update Services server role will show up in Server Manager as an installed server role.
2. On the Server Manager home page, click Add Roles in the Roles Summary section.
3. On the Select Roles page of the Add Roles Wizard, click Windows Server Update Services in the list of available server roles.
4. Follow the instructions in the Add Roles Wizard to complete the installation.
For more information about the update for Windows Server 2008 Server Manager, see the following knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940518.
For more information about WSUS 3.0 SP1, see the following knowledge base article and blog: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948014/en-us