Windows Update error 80072f8f
When running Windows Update, the error code 0x80072f8f was received.
Regarding the error code 80072f8f, it means “ERROR_INTERNET_DECODING_FAILED” which caused by the Internet Time could not be synchronized with global Update Server. The valid date and time are on the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate that the Windows Update website uses. In this scenario, the Windows Update scan operation is unable to scan the computer for updates successfully.
Please take the following steps to check the issue:
1. Click the “Start” button, type “Date and Time” in the Search bar, and then click “Date and Time” in the Programs list.
2. In the “Date and Time Settings” dialog box, please perform the following:
1) Check the time and date on system:
In the “Date and Time” dialog box, click “Change date and time”, configure the correct date and time and click OK.
2) Ensure the Time zone setting is correct.
3) Configure Internet Time Setting:
a) Switch to the “Internet Time” tab and then click Change settings. b) Select the check box next to “Synchronize with an Internet time server”, select the time server “time.windows.com”, and then click "Update now". c) Then Click OK to apply the settings.
Please restart the computer and check the issue.
Did all the steps and its not working
thanks for the help it worked great!!
Glad to know this helps! If you need any help about Windows 7, you are welcome to post in our forum:
Windows 7 IT Pro Forums
Have a nice day!
I have window 7 enterprises and for the last 6 Month could not update it always it shows that no important update available. Your assistance in this regards would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Well, I believe your problem is kinda related with corrupt OS files, incorrect system settings and so on. What you have to do is simply check system files for corruption, restore your machine to an earlier date. Use a hotfix available and if doesn't work go with the other options. Follow the steps given below until your problem is completely resolved. The steps given below can be used for System File Checker and System Restore.
Use System File Checker:
1. Insert Windows installation disc.
2. Click the Start button.
3. Point to All Programs | Accessories.
3. Select Run.
4. Type the following:
5. Press ENTER.
6. In the Command Prompt dialog type following command:
7. After the process is successfully performed, type EXIT and press ENTER. Reboot your machine for the changes to take effects.
Use System Restore:
1. Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories | System Tools.
2. Select System Restore.
3. A wizard opens.
4. Click Next.
5. Select a previous restore point.
6. Confirm the action and follow the on-screen instructions.
It's very useful :)
Setting the time correctly (from time.windows.com) got my updates working.
For Windows7 Tech Support
contact on 1-800-935-053
This is not fixing the error code 80072f8f in windows update issue at all why? Why is no one fixing this for many with this error code. We need a patch or something has to be fixed...