Why this happens :
- Profmain.aspx calls importStatus.LastCrawlSeedStatus to determine if an error occurred during the last profile import.
- If the LastCrawlSeedStatus value is not 0, it checks importStatus.LastLogEntry and provides the text message from the log
- LastCrawlSeedStatus is a property of the content source People_Import (Hidden Content Source)
- If the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0\Search\Applications\6d372e7b-6777-4641-aebe-caab7e737701\Gather\ProfileImport\ContentSources\1\StartPages\0
- If the value to anything other than 0, we can reproduce problem
- The search account should have full control on this registry key
- The SSP account should have read access to this key.
How to Fix it :-
- Open the registry on the indexer server
- Checke the value of "lastCrawlSeedStatus" in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0\Search\Applications\6d372e7b-6777-4641-aebe-caab7e737701\Gather\ProfileImport\ContentSources\1\StartPages\0
- We changed the value to 0
- Restart search service
I tried this fix, and my users and profiles page is stll showing the "The user profile database connection cannot be made, because of error " message. There are no crawl errors, and no real info that i can think of to follow up on.
try rentering the password for the default content acess account and make sure this account has permission on DB.