Big data is a big topic around Microsoft this week, and many of our customers are recognizing the potential for big data to transform the way they do business.
One such customer is The Weather Channel (TWC). Bryson Koehler, chief information officer at TWC talked with the Newscenter team about what big data means to TWC, and how the so-called “data deluge” has become his company’s strategic differentiator. As Koehler calls out in his interview, the recent rise in data volume, velocity and variety means TWC can improve their forecasts at perpetually faster rates. They have used this ability to forecast the weather to move beyond just reporting the weather to providing services to industries including aviation and energy.
There are a lot of other customers as well. Take a look at some of the below case studies to see what organizations around the world are doing with big data.
Stay tuned throughout the week for more on big data as we highlight additional customers and industries. See our schedule of activities below.
• Monday, Feb 11: “Global Enterprise Big Data Trends: 2013” and insight from big data executives and analysts
• Tuesday, Feb. 12: Spotlight on big data early adopters, including a Q&A with The Weather Channel Chief Information Officer Bryson Koehler on how big data is transforming his company
• Wednesday, Feb. 13: Microsoft’s big data approach, investments and products
• Thursday, Feb. 14: Silicon Valley big data event highlights
• Friday, Feb. 15: The future of big data and machine learning within Microsoft Research, including a Q&A with MSR Researcher Eric Horvitz