By Ron Grattopp ….Every one I’ve demo’d Windows 8 for always wants to know how I got the Shutdown tile on my Start Screen, so since it’s been such a popular thing I thought I’d go ahead and blog about it, consider it my Christmas gift to you. Here’s how to create a 1-click Shutdown option for your Start Screen and Desktop (I’m betting it’s easier than you probably think)…
Basically, what we’re doing is creating custom shortcuts that use the built-in Windows Shutdown command.
1. Go to the desktop, then right-click on the desktop and select New | Shortcut.
2. Enter “shutdown” in the Create Shortcut (as shown below), then click Next
3. Accept “shutdown.exe” or rename the shortcut as desired (I personally change it to “ShutDown”) then click Finish
4. Next, right click the new Shutdown shortcut on your desktop and select Properties. Add the /s and /t switches to the shutdown command line (see below). Note: the /s switch is needed to tell the shutdown command that you indeed want it to shutdown, also the /t switch is recommended otherwise by default the shutdown command waits 30 seconds before it executes, and as you see below, I add a 5 after the /t switch to cut the delay time to 5 seconds. (You could also change the icon here as well – I’ll show that later)
5. The final step is to right click the Shutdown shortcut and select the “Pin to Start” option (shown below), remember it will show up to the far right of the Start Screen, so you may want to move it.
That’s it, basically just 5 pretty simple steps. However, here’s some additional things you may want to consider.
So, I hope you’ll find this tip useful – feel free to pass it on.
Cheers, as always, Ron
Nice ..thanks for sharing :)
Helped in knowing more things
Many thanks, Ron. I've just added it - I'll try it later :-)
Thank you! Just for the record Windows 8 is a hateful OS!!!
THANKS RON IT HELPED ME AND MY FATHER A LOT
Does not work on 8.1 preview.
Honestly and OS shouldn't be a test of dexterity. Try running Win 8 via RDP session and playing the right pop-out menu game. It is so annoying to try to strategically place your mouse in the right place for the right duration just so you can turn your computer off or restart it.
Just added it to my Windows 8.1, works great.THANKS
Uber Cool......and useful. thanks!
You are our savior. That fancy window 8 often restart itself and won't stay shut down/up.