We have just got the initial details of the Windows Server 2012 technical launch event that is due to happen here in the UK. Get into your diaries and save the date! 25th September 2012!!! Trust me you NEED to be there! I’m still twisting arms to get the details of where this event will be but for now get the date in your diary.
To go along with this event we are running a couple of competitions. The first is a bit of a geeky design competition and I think it’s right up your alley! Here’s why…
We have 29 HP ProLiant MicroServer’s to give away in association with Servers Plus at the Windows Server 2012 Launch event in association with Servers Plus for attendees at the launch event on 25th September 2012 (Terms & Conditions available here). But that’s not all!!! There’s a second competition!!!
It’s summer time and everything should be bright and fun -that includes the MicroServer! That’s where the design competition comes in!!! You will need all your design skills to the ready as you will need to personalise, pimp or otherwise customize the server! Be as wicked and wild with your designs as you like!
Here are the judging criteria for the design:
To help you with creating your design we have a template that provides you with the dimensions that you are designing for. Here’s the template (PDF). The design here was one used by Servers Plus from a competition they ran last year and submitting it does not count as an entry!
To enter the competition:
You can also share your amazing designs with one another on our Facebook Page or on Twitter.
You can use the MicroServer for your own testing and personal use. Why not install Windows Server 2012 either standard or the bare metal version. Try setting up a virtual server host and guest, create a storage pool or simply familiarize yourself with the new management console. If you are feeling a little daring try your hand at some PowerShell with the new PowerShell console and one of the many new commandlets.
So get designing now! And remember to sign up for the technical launch event to claim your prize in person and see who wins machines with your design on them!
Windows Server 2012 Design Competition Terms & Conditions
1. ELIGIBILITY. This promotion is open to any person resident in the United Kingdom who is eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees of Microsoft or its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising or promotion agencies are not eligible, nor are members of these employees’ families (defined as parents, children, siblings, spouse and life partners).
2. ENTRY. Visit http://blogs.technet.com/b/uktechnet/archive/2012/08/01/announcing-the-windows-server-2012-uk-technical-launch-event-amp-competition.aspx and submit a link to your design, name and email address.
To the extent that entry requires the submission of user-generated content such as photos, videos, music, artwork, essays, etc., entrants warrant that their entry is their original work, has not been copied from others, and does not violate the privacy, intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person or entity.
Entries will be ineligible for the prize draw if they:
· are incomplete;
· exceed the maximum number of entries allowed per person;
· violate the rights of any other person or entity; or
· are received outside of the Promotion Period set out below.
Only one (1) entry per person will be accepted. No purchase necessary to enter the promotion. Entry constitutes full and unconditional acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. Microsoft is not responsible for lost, corrupted or delayed entries. Microsoft reserves the right to disqualify anyone who violates these Terms and Conditions.
3. TIMING. This promotion runs from 12.01:00 am GMT on Start date, 1st August 2012 until 11.59:59 p.m. GMT on End date, 26th August 2012 (inclusive) (the “Promotion Period”).
4. USE OF YOUR ENTRY. Personal data which you provide when you enter may be used for future Microsoft marketing activity if you indicate your consent on the entry form (if applicable). Otherwise your personal data will be used by Microsoft and agents acting on Microsoft’s behalf only for the operation of this promotion.
5. SELECTION OF WINNERS. All valid entries will be judged as a finalist.
Winning entries will be determined by a panel of judges with at least one independent judge on 27th August 2012. Judging will be based on:
· Originality & Uniqueness of entry
· Inspirational, amusement and entertainment of entry
· Cleverness of incorporating aspects of Windows Server 2012 into the design
A maximum of one prize per eligible entry is allowed. Winners will be notified by email to the address provided by the potential winner by 25th September 2012. If a potential winner has not confirmed receipt of the notification within TEN (10) days after the first attempt, an alternative winner will be selected on the same basis as described above (either at random for prize draws or according to the same judging criteria for competitions). Winners may be asked to provide identification proving their eligibility before they are entitled to receive the prize. Winners may be required to participate in further publicity or advertising.
6. PRIZE(S). There will be one prize in total. The prize will be as follows:
· One HP ProLiant MicroServer with winners design printed on decal (£230 approximate value)
Prizes are as stated and are not transferable. No cash alternatives available. Microsoft reserves the right to substitute the prizes with prizes of equal or greater value. All prizes will be sent by Microsoft or its agent no later than 28 days after the prize draw has been made by Microsoft. Unless otherwise stated, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer's warranty and/or terms and conditions.
Prizes may be considered as a taxable benefit to the winners. Winners will be directly responsible for accounting for and paying to HMRC, or other relevant tax authority, any tax liability arising on their prize. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any query related to the taxable amount for reporting to HMRC, or other relevant tax authority.
7. WINNERS LIST. Each winner consents to his/her surname being made publicly available upon request. Winners names will be available for a period of 28 days after the selection of winners by written request to email@example.com.
8. OTHER. No correspondence will be entered into regarding either this promotion or these Terms and Conditions. In the unlikely event of a dispute, Microsoft’s decision shall be final. Microsoft reserves the right to amend, modify, cancel or withdraw this promotion at any time but only before the delivery of prizes, without notice.
Participants in this promotion agree that Microsoft will have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, costs, damage, disappointment or losses of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly from acceptance, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in this promotion. Nothing in this clause shall limit Microsoft’s liability in respect of death or personal injury arising out of its own negligence or liability arising out of Microsoft’s fraud.
Microsoft cannot guarantee the performance of any third party and shall not be liable for any act or default by a third party.
9. SPIRIT OF THE COMPETITION. If an entrant attempts to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this promotion by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from that entrant to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we will disqualify that entrant’s entry to this promotion and may ban the entrant from participating in any of our future promotions, so please play fairly.
Promoter: Microsoft Limited (“Microsoft”), Microsoft Campus, Thames Valley Park, Reading, RG6 1WG, England
Gutted to miss it - Teaching all that week! - work does get in the way sometimes.
The website for registering as listed on the rules webpage http://aka.ms/WS2012Comp does not get exist (its pointing to a generic page for a German website.) Hopefully this will be fixed soon
The competition to win one of the 29 servers at the launch event has not yet got a sign up page hence save the date and look out for the announcement for where to sign up in the next few weeks. The URL in that competition's terms & conditions will go to the event registration page as soon as the page exists.
For now you can enter the design competition above and each person can enter a design and be in with a chance to win one micro server with their design on it.
3 TIMING. This promotion runs from 12.01:00 am GMT on 1st August 2012 until 11.59:59 p.m. GMT on 31st August 2012 (inclusive) (the “Promotion Period”).
So to me it looked like the event was already open and would close at the end of this month.
Are there plans for regional promotions of this great product? Hopefully you will be coming to Cardiff again - it has been over 4 years.
Hi David, we're currently working on the IT camps schedule at the moment. There is a poll open for you to show where you would like to see these events happen and Windows Server 2012 will be part of that. You'll find the poll here http://facebook.com/technetuk
We have to have the start and end dates being the dates that the terms & conditions are available even if the event listing isn't yet live. It's part of the legal thing unfortunately. As soon as the event sign up page is out there we'll post here on the blog! :) Sorry for any confusion caused, I'm pushing hard to get the event details live asap but for now save the date and keep an eye on the blog and you'll know as soon as the event is live.
Here's my 1st design for the Microserver! :D
(Posted again as I forgot to sign in before)
Here is my submission. Hope Microsoft logos are acceptable ... http://sdrv.ms/NKyCi5
So the VS2012 dark theme has fooled me into thinking I have some design skills and I've created this, its a little rough but hopefully its passable as a valiant effort... http://sdrv.ms/P3HOCC
Here is my submission. It's my take on what Windows 2012 looks like from the inside!
The inner workings of Server 2012? www.earthspike.com/.../d.brenner.artwork.pdf
Here is mine, I went off the prerequisites you gave in the rules and spent way too much time coming up with with this...
here is mine, I followed the comp prerequisits and probebly spent too much time but here goes...
the myans, did they predict the end...., or the begining!
Posting for the 3rd time, apologies I just want to get my entry in! :)
Here is mine, Proberbly spent too much time on it though!
- Originality & Uniqueness of entry.... yep its odd
· Inspirational, amusement and entertainment of entry.. who doesnt love the myans!
· Cleverness of incorporating aspects of Windows Server 2012 into the design... yeah its all there, looking forward to the release too!
Here's a few more designs I've made so far:
- Based on the windows 8 start screen design
- Turns the Microserver into a stasis tank for your Windows Server specimen!
- Impenetrable defenses for the Microserver