As you know, R2 is moving to a 64-bit only platform to achieve greater scalability. 32-bit versions of OCS 2007 R2 will no longer be supported in production. This lines up with Exchange and other products moving this direction.
What OS can I run R2 on?
All roles of Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Enterprise Edition require one of the following operating systems:
· The 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2008 Standard, or the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
· The 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard with Service Pack 2 (SP2), or the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise with SP2
· The 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 Standard with SP2, or the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise with SP2
What version of SQL can I run R2 on?
The following list of supported database management systems applies to the Office Communications Server Back-End Database and to the Archiving, Monitoring, and Group Chat databases:
· Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (32-bit or 64-bit edition)
· Microsoft SQL Server 2005 with SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit edition)
The following tables describe the hardware requirements for an Enterprise pool that has 100,000 endpoints, includes all Office Communications Server functionality, and has eight Front End Servers.
Table 1. Enterprise Edition, Front-End Server
· Dual processor, quad-core 2.0 gigahertz (GHz)+
· 4-way processor, dual-core 2.0 GHz+
8 gigabyte (GB)
2x 72 GB+, 15K or 10K RPM
2 x 1 Gbps network adapter
If you extrapolate this information: 1 OCS FE server with all OCS functionality will ballpark around 12,500 endpoints so a typical school district/campus size, from what I have sampled, for faculty and staff two servers would be sufficient with redundancy.
The requirements in the following table apply to the Back-End Database and to Monitoring, Archiving, Group Chat, and Compliance databases.
Table 2. Enterprise Edition, Back-End Database
· Dual processor, quad-core 2.0 GHz+
· 4-way processor, dual-core 2.0 GHz +
· 2x RAID 1 (mirrored), 10K RPM or 15K RPM for system files
· 2x RAID 1 (mirrored) 15K RPM for database log files
· 8x RAID 10 (striped and mirrored) 15K RPM disks for database data files
· Dual processor, quad-core 2.66 GHz +
· 4-way processor, dual-core 2.66 GHz +
2x 72 GB, 15K RPM, RAID 0 (striped) or equivalent
· Dual processor, quad-core 2.0 GHz +
2x 72 GB, 15K or 10K RPM, RAID 0 (striped) or equivalent
2x 72GB 15K or 10K RPM disk drives, RAID 0 (striped) or equivalent
For Standard only deployments:
Note: All of this information taken from the upcoming OCS architecture documentation
P.S. Don’t forget to join our R2 virtual launch on February 3 as we have over 6,700 customers signed up already. It will also be translated in 11 languages.
64-bit only As you know, R2 is moving to a 64-bit only platform to achieve greater scalability
Découvrez  la Communication Unifiée  à ces adresses : http://www.microsoft.com/france/office/uc/default.mspx