A colleague's copy of IE7 on Windows XP was playing up today.

When browsing secure sites (that's https or ssl for the search engine crowd), IE would crash with a polite message offering to create a dump file. Otherwise, it was fine, but this was kinda annoying for banking purposes. This had been happening for a while, they said...

The file that was created when "Yes" was clicked was called "coredmp", so I opened it up to have a bit of a play around in WinDBG. The stack was inconclusive, but I got looking at what was loaded in the IE process...

Long story short, bmnet came up as one of the modules, and following the instructions in the KB article 910435 seems to have fixed the problem (just an uninstall of one of the programs was needed, no mucking around with LSPs this time).