Here is another testimonial from a SQL Server 2008 Microsoft Certified Master who doesn’t work for Microsoft – and wasn’t paid to say all this good stuff J. His name is Peter Fictum and he is a SQL Server Engineer at GoDaddy.com:
“I would be happy to share some of my feedback and value on the MCM SQL Program. My experience was filled with lots of positive twists and turns.
· Being away from home for three weeks at the campus at Microsoft rejuvenated me for my job when I returned. It got me fired up to put to practice what I learned during the class sessions. I couldn't wait to get back to work and start implementing to help our team.
· The daily classes and caliber of instructors was amazing. I was impressed with their actual hands-on knowledge of the everyday issues we face, not just text book knowledge, not just white board scribbles or PowerPoint slide decks, but information that I could actually use on a daily basis. The instructors could relate to the challenges we face and were able to offer real-world solutions. You get full access to all the instructor notes, decks, and scripts. I find myself referencing them often in my day to day work.
· The other students in class were extremely smart (part of Microsoft's process for only accepting top tier talent) and I was able to form study groups with them after class and on the weekends. Having a group of people going through the same program together with the ability to share knowledge was a very big benefit. Lifelong friends were made during those three weeks.
· The exams were challenging and pushed you to study areas of SQL Server you may not typically find yourself researching on a daily basis. Made me acquire a much deeper knowledge of SQL Server and how it works. Because of this, I know feel like I better understand a lot of the topics and I now have a more solid foundation to quickly learn new areas of SQL Server that I didn't have before the training.
· The labs in class were extremely challenging and gave me an opportunity to see something outside my day to day routine.
· Being added to the MCM / MCA email distribution lists and being able to read / share expertise and experience is invaluable.
· Words cannot describe what it feels like to be part of the top tier of SQL Server expertise / knowledge in the world and that is what the MCM SQL certification is all about.
· I also learned not to challenge Ken Tanner to a mini-go-kart race as I will not win. :)
· The other thing I believe to be a real benefit actually happens after the program is complete and you can start sharing with others your new credential. Everyone I talk to is amazed that I am a MCM on SQL 2008 and that is a good feeling. It feels great to have worked so hard for something and then be rewarded in so many ways.
· One night during the program I had the opportunity to meet the SQL Server Product team. This was amazing as these are the people who actually take my feedback and roll changes directly into the product. Definitely one of the highlights of the program for a lot of the students because we were able to meet and talk to the people who are building SQL Server and have a direct influence on future product direction. Imagine if your favorite car was a Lamborghini and you had the opportunity to meet and talk to the people responsible for designing and building the car. This was a very cool experience.
In summary, this was the best training I have ever received and will probably help me at least as much if not more than my 7 years of college and two degrees. By the end of the three weeks I could barely walk back to my hotel because I was so mentally and physically exhausted...I think I crawled or carried myself...I don't remember and just wanted to rest. :) I loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat!
This is not a sales pitch for the program, as I think the program sells itself; however get ready to experience something like you have never experienced before in your life.”
Thanks much to Peter for sharing his experience with the program,