SharePoint 2010 : Missing server file or server configuration issues

SharePoint 2010 : Missing server file or server configuration issues

  • Comments 3
  • Likes

While upgrading from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 we come across many issues and the following is one of them.

Note: Before performing an upgrade, ensure that you run the preupgradecheck tool (STSADM.EXE -o preupgradecheck) which would indicate the issues which may encounter while performing an upgrade.

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262231.aspx

We may encounter following errors in the Pre upgrade report

Issue: Missing server file or server configuration issues. Server side files are referenced in the content databases, but are not installed on the server. Without these files, the sites may not function completely or the content may not render correctly. Also, upgrade or post upgrade issues may occur if these files are not available in the new version environment.

The following web part(s) are referenced by the content, but they are not installed on the web server

Id = a96a608d-61e7-186c-8fbd-1cebfac7e602, Type = Unknown, Reference = 1, Status = Missing

Id = d4321bbd-3f43-e3f5-4a38-97d4359facd1, Type = Unknown, Reference = 8, Status = Missing

Id = 08f1dc7f-a471-2beb-1e5b-00ea35abba18, Type = Unknown, Reference = 1, Status = Missing

The following event receiver assembly(s) are referenced by the content, but they are not installed on the web server

Assembly = SourceCode.SharePoint.EventReceivers, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=16A2C5AAAA1B130D, Count = 6, Status = Missing

Assembly = SecureManagerDocument, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1ac4988b4ad8d646, Count = 2, Status = Missing

The following setup file(s) are referenced by the content, but they are not installed on the web server

Path = [C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\FT-01-011c26c4-5eb6-37c3-573e-145d23ad3115\solution.xsn], Reference = [1], Status = [Missing]

Path = [C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\FT-01-021d3e1a-166d-65fa-0322-9a058a4aad54\solution.xsn], Reference = [1], Status = [Missing]

Path = [C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\FT-01-2e68cd15-239e-ea3f-00ea-4988b298357a\solution.xsn], Reference = [1], Status = [Missing]

--------------------------

To resolve the web parts errors:

Take a note the ID from the Pre-upgrade report: a96a608d-61e7-186c-8fbd-1cebfac7e602

Note: The ID represents the Web part type ID which is referenced within the Content database but the supporting files are not present on the server.

In order to resolve the issue we have to logon to the SQL Server and open up SQL Management Studio

Step1 Executed:

select * from WebParts where tp_WebPartTypeId = ‘a96a608d-61e7-186c-8fbd-1cebfac7e602’

Note: Execute this query against all the content databases. If we get an output, then that’s the Content database we want to concentrate on.

From the output take the value of TP_PAGEURLID

EC9F36D8-750C-4A0D-AB4C-92947DE5372A

Step2 Executed:

select * from AllDocs where id = 'EC9F36D8-750C-4A0D-AB4C-92947DE5372A'

From output look at the

Dirname: Teams/SiteA

Leafname: Default.aspx

Browsed the above site and then click on Site Actions –> Edit page –> Add Web Part –> Advanced Web Part gallery options.

We would notice that we have closed web parts. Ideally these are the ones which are culprit and shows up as “Web Part Error” under Web Part Lists.

Solution: Add the Error Web part again to the page and then deleted it.

Note: Executed the above steps for the rest of the ID referenced under web part errors.

Resolving assembly’s error

Assembly = SourceCode.SharePoint.EventReceivers, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=16A2C5AAAA1B130D, Count = 6, Status = Missing

This was very tricky and had to a lot of research; eventually found that SourceCode.SharePoint.EventReceivers is an Event handler which comes from K2 Third party package.

To resolve the issue we made use of SharePoint Manager (CodePlex utility)

Note: Executing SharePoint Manager on Production server is not supported by Microsoft Product Support Services.

Expanded the sites we suspected that might have the K2 feature activated.

After investigation we found a sub site named “Test1” which had “TaskList” and “Task” lists which had the K2 event handler.

Delete the associated K2 Event handlers using SharePoint Manager.

Resolving setup file errors:

These are InfoPath forms which are deployed. Initial investigation we didn’t find anything alarming.

Path = [C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\FT-01-011c26c4-5eb6-37c3-573e-145d23ad3115\solution.xsn], Reference = [1], Status = [Missing]

Path = [C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\FT-01-021d3e1a-166d-65fa-0322-9a058a4aad54\solution.xsn], Reference = [1], Status = [Missing]

Path = [C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\FT-01-2e68cd15-239e-ea3f-00ea-4988b298357a\solution.xsn], Reference = [1], Status = [Missing]

As everything was working as expected we implemented a workaround

i.e., created following folders FT-01-011c26c4-5eb6-37c3-573e-145d23ad3115, FT-01-021d3e1a-166d-65fa-0322-9a058a4aad54 & FT-01-2e68cd15-239e-ea3f-00ea-4988b298357a under Features Directory

We then created a text document later renamed as solution.xsn and pasted it under the Folder we created.

Comments
  • Wow!  Excellent blog, sir.  Thank you!

  • This is perfect, 100%

  • Just what the doctor ordered. Much, much thanks.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment