Recently , I had sever instances were we needed a installer log for change mode for FIM. I had the details but my colleague Peter documented this quite we for us:
Hi David , thanks for providing this information through this article. I have been using this process to troubleshoot failed patches on .Net.
Recently i started facing issue on windows 2003 servers. Even after enabling verbose logging, logs are not generating. I tried with service restart - server re-starts, but still no luck.
Even the registry entries are correct. (As suggested by Microsoft)
Could you suggest how I can approach this to find the root cause. If nothing works then I would need to blindly use the .Net cleanup utility to un-install the .Net setups and later with fresh installation.