Browse by Tags

Related Posts
  • Blog Post: Oh gosh, I deleted my passwd map

    Oh gosh, I deleted my passwd map “Oh my God, I accidently deleted my NIS passwd map definition from ADSIEdit ”. We have faced many a similar situations in our life. Once you install Server for NIS, you get some standard maps. You have the liberty to create non-standard maps but the default installation...
  • Blog Post: Using two way Password Sync - Windows and UNIX

    This blog is in continuation of the blog ( http://blogs.technet.com/b/dsix/archive/2009/04/06/password-synchronization-between-windows-and-unix-part-ii.aspx) where we had discussed on syncing password changes from Unix to Windows. Based on our testing and research, we did find some additional steps...
  • Blog Post: Binding Linux as NIS client and slave to Windows NIS Master

    To configure Linux as NIS client to Windows NIS master (Binding Linux as NIS client to Windows 2008 DC, NIS Master) Configuring Linux as NIS client: File that needs to be configure on the Linux side: 1. Edit the # /etc/yp.conf file and put the entry below domain linuxlab server rhel1.sfu...
  • Blog Post: IDMU tools missing from RSAT installation on Windows 8

    IDMU tools is not part of the RSAT installation for Windows 8. There is a documentation error on the support article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2693643/en-us talks about the presence of IDMU tools under RSAT. However this has been added back on Windows 8.1 and now IDMU is a part of the RSAT tools...
  • Blog Post: How to rename an existing Active Directory NIS domain

    Renaming a Windows NIS domain name may become essential as default NIS domain that IDMU captures is based on the existing domain name (excluding Top Level Domain name). In case we rename the AD Domain or we have a different NIS domain name already configured in UNIX; removing the existing AD NIS domain...
  • Blog Post: Secondary GID not working with ADlookup

    Recently we had a case where users from Windows 7, NFS client were unable to access the NFS share. Adlookup was set up properly. And changing the setting to fetch the information from Windows 2003, User name mapping server resolved the issue. Note: We did not change any settings on the Unix NFS server...