Key Performance Indicator: A Key Performance Indicator (KPI) is a visual cue that communicates the progress made toward a goal. The important properties of a KPI are Current Value, Goal and Status.
Some examples of KPI are % of escalated Incidents, % of incidents which breached SLA, % of service requests through portal.
The SM data warehouse in System Center 2012 provides users an option to define KPIs on the cube using a simple MP element in the cube definition. Here is the XSD content view of a KPI element in the Management Pack schema.
The supported values are Shapes, TrafficLight, RoadSigns, Gauge, ReversedGauge, Thermometer, Cylinder, Faces, VarianceArrow.
Note: Excel won’t support all the status graphics values but will default if you provide a value it doesn’t support.
Let’s build a KPI “% of escalated Incidents” using Service Manager data warehouse 2012.
For the KPI “% of escalated Incidents”, let’s define the goal as less than .1 and Green Threshold as .3, Yellow Threshold as .4 . The direction need to be down as we want the escalated incidents % to be as low as possible.
1) Identify the Measure on which the KPI can be defined and provide it as the value. In this scenario Escalated Incidents\Total incidents count should provide the ratio
So here is the KPI element
<Caption> Incident Escalations </Caption>
<Value>IIF([Measures].[Incidents Escalated]>0,([Measures].[Incidents Escalated]/[Measures].[IncidentDimCount]),0)</Value>
2) Import the sealed Cube MP with the KPI and run the MPSync job so that the KPI is deployed to the Analysis Services Database.
3) Process the cube from the SM console or Cmdlet.
4) Now open the cube in the Excel from SM Console. The EscalationsKPI appears in the Excel field list as indicated below.
5) Check the Value, Goal, and Status fields, that should indicate the overall status, goal and the current values. The following should be the view then:
6) Now slice the KPI based on the source of the Incident. Check the IncidentSourceValue from IncidentDim_Incidentsource cube dimension and it should provide the following view. Also select the incident count:
7) Now slice by classification by checking the IncidentClassificationValue from IncidentDim_IncidentClassificationValue:
I have attached the cube MP for your reference.
I get an error that the following managment packs don't exsist when I try to import the CubeMP
Microsoft.SystemCenter.Datawarehouse.Base is the DW base MP and ServiceManager.ConfigurationManagement.Cubes.Library is the Cube MP which the IncidentEscalationKPI mp is extending. Those are being referred by IncidentEscalationKPI mp. so they need to be in deployed state for IncidentEscalationKPI MP to import and deploy successfully
You may check the deployment status of those 2 MPs in Service Manager COnsole->Datawarehouse Wonderbar->ManagementPacks.
verify that the deploymentstatus is completed for these two mps.
if it is ,we need to ensure that the reference info( versions and keytoken) of the 2mps in IncidentEscalationKPI.xml matches with the one on your SM topology.
here is the snippet with the reference info in the IncidentEscalation xml
You may check the Publickeytoken and version on your SM topology by using the following SQL query on the Datawarehouse
select MPKeyToken,MPVersion,* from ManagementPack
where MPName like 'Microsoft.SystemCenter.Datawarehouse.Base%'
if it doesnt match , update the IncidentEscalationKPI xml and seal and reimport the mp.
let me know if it still persists
This reference section should be valid for the RC.
What does the field Incident Classification (Row labels} at the last picture?
Why is it there? There should be a field classification.
Are there any pre built MPs that Microsoft has available to deliver common KPIs for the various cubes in SCSM 2012? There are quite a few of us out in the world that are using the product, have a requirement for reports with KPIs, but have neither the time, know how or budget to do this ourselves or hire someone to do it.
Some basic out of the box type of KPIs would be a nice starting point with perhpas an interface in the future that will allow the design of additional KPIs in the console.