SharePoint Duplicate People Search Results (or none at all)

SharePoint Duplicate People Search Results (or none at all)

  • Comments 7
  • Likes

I ran into an interesting issue with the People Search functionality of SharePoint today (which is the opposite of a problem I ran into sometime back, and which is also covered here)

The problem today: People results are duplicated.

The problem earlier: No people results at all.

image

The root cause of the issue is the same… People/Profiles in SharePoint are a special object, and need to be crawled with the SharePoint (as opposed to http) protocol handler. You need to make sure that you have a content source of sps3://yourservername/. In Central Administration, open your Shared Services Provider, and click on Search Settings, and then on your Content Sources. 

image

On my particular server, I have My Sites setup on a separate Web Application from my root Site Collection, so I thought it would be smart to add an additional entry to search my My Sites of sps3://yourservername:12345

However, SharePoint was already smart enough to crawl my profiles with the existing sps3://yourservername, so the additional entry for the My Sites host just caused it to crawl (and display) the profiles twice.  Deleting the extra entry and running an incremental crawl cleared things right up.  (the opposite problem of no people results occurred when I only had http://yourservername/ as a Start Address.  I needed to add the sps3://yourservername entry).

image

I didn’t see anyone else with the duplicate people search results on the Internet, so it is possible I’m the only person that has ever made this mistake, but if not… I hope this helps :)

Comments
  • Yes, I had the exact same issue just the other day, so no you are not alone :)

  • I had a similar issue with my farms. I have two separate farms in the same domain (orders from above) but i have them setup to crawl each other. I recently updated the content sources with the sps3 protocol across the board.  I wound up with:

    sps3://localserver

    sps3://mysiteserver

    sps3://projectserver

    for both local and remote sources. the result was 6 responses for a single person search. not pretty. i removed the sps3 protocol from the remote source and the mysite and project servers then recrawled everthing. i'm back to a single result for a single user.

  • thanks it has resolved my issue....

  • Thank you!  This was a perfect solution.  I was wondering why people showed up twice...

  • Thanks for sharing!  I was scratching my head on this one and your post cleared it up for me.

  • This helped a lot...thank you...

  • Excellent that is a good post this helps me.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment