Did you know that you can use the tag cloud to quickly find VMM-related content in the TechNet Library? Tags have been added to all of the topics in the System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 and VMM 2008 R2 node of the library.
Here is a current picture of the tag cloud if you click vmm:
Every topic has the common top-level tags systemcenter, vmm, scvmm and virtualmachinemanager. It gets more specific from there. As you drill down by using the tags, the search results become more and more refined.
Let’s say you want to search for “how to” topics related to the VMM library.
1. Go to the tag cloud.
2. Click one of the top-level tags, like vmm.
3. Click howto. The results are narrowed down to all topics with the tags vmm + howto.
4. To see the “how to” topics that relate to the library, click library.
Let’s say you want to search the VMM content for Windows PowerShell topics related to virtual to virtual (V2V) conversion.
5. Click powershell. The results are narrowed down to all topics with the tags vmm + powershell.
3. To see the Windows PowerShell topics that relate to V2V conversion, click v2v. (You could also click conversion.)
Another way to use the tags is that you can click a tag at the bottom of a topic. For example:
1. In the TechNet Library, go to the topic Placing Virtual Machines on Hosts.
2. If you want to see more topics on placement, scroll to the bottom of the topic, and then click the placement tag. As you can see, most of the results are VMM-related. However, there is also a topic that is related to Active Directory (for role placement).
3. To make sure that the results apply only to VMM, click vmm in the tag cloud at the top of the page to further scope the results.
We hope that you find this search method to be helpful. If you see topics that would benefit from additional tagging, you can add or modify tags if you sign in to TechNet by using a Windows Live ID.
Tessa Wooley |Technical Writer, Microsoft