You may be unable to run post-deployment configuration wizard after you install the Windows Server Essentials Experience role

You may be unable to run post-deployment configuration wizard after you install the Windows Server Essentials Experience role

  • Comments 15
  • Likes

[This post comes to us courtesy of Rituraj Choudhary & Ajay Sarkaria from Commercial Technical Support]

Once the Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 setup is complete, the server reboots to the desktop and would ask you to configure Windows Server Essentials Experience role.


After the role is installed and you run the Post-deployment Configuration Wizard, it may fail as:

Configuration encountered some issues

Please Click Retry. If the issue still exists please refer to the help link for more troubleshooting steps.



This issue may occur if the Logon as a service Group Policy is configured under Default Domain Controller Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment.

There is an account ServerAdmin$ that is used for initial configuration and needs the logon as a service user right for the task to complete. The current workaround is to add ServerAdmin$ account to this policy:


The configuration thereafter should continue fine.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • Worked on one server, but not another.

  • Same problem here. Added ServerAdmin$ account, rebooted, nothing changed. The "Preparing your server..." bar goes to 1% and then An error occured... Is there a away to reset the configuration wizard and start again from scratch? There is no way to change any options given for the configuration.

  • The Manual of Mastery has been written by a family of avid Wizard101 fans, and has proved to be an awesome advantage when winding their way through the Spiral!

  • I had the same issue, but log on as a service was not the problem. I tried addressing the issue as instructed, but \ServerAdmin$, and MediaAdmin$ couldn't be found on the 2003 domain.

    I found by adding 2 CPU, and 8Gb of Ram, on the Virtual Machine allowed the setup to continue

  • Next step Gpupdate, works 100%

  • Bingo!

  • I'm having the same problem as the first commenter - worked on one server, not an another. I can't find any other documentation on this and there are no errors in the logs.

  • Two things...first time I tried this the ServerAdmin$ account could not be found. A reboot of the server fixed that. Two - make sure you changed the DNS settings on your NIC so that the server points to itself ( as a DNS server.

  • This is a REALLY important post (for all of us hitting this issue--which in our experience is 100% of the time). What I don't understand is why it's not linked to the main blog page--it doesn't show as a "Recent Post" for example. We always read the SBS/WSE Team Blog *religiously* before starting a migration. In this case, when we got the error Bingling didn't find this page right away. Could have saved us hours if you'd just "publish" it so we saw it BEFORE all this drama.

  • Thank you, you made my day!

  • Thanks! Such simple solution