The official blog for Windows Server Essentials and Small Business Server support and product group communications.
[Today's post comes to us courtesy of Justin Crosby and Cloud Xu]
We are investigating an issue with the SBS 2003 R2 Update Services Configuration Wizard. Within the wizard you have the option to set the update level for both your clients and servers. The options are High, Medium, Low, and None. The definition of Low is "Approve all security updates for installation". We have discovered that when Low is selected instead of receiving security updates you will only receive critical updates. If you are using the default values for SBS 2003 R2 you will not be impacted by this issue and the default for clients is High and the default for servers is Medium.
To verify your settings:
1. Open SBS 2003 R2 Server Management.
2. Click the Update Services node.
3. Click the Change Update Services Settings task.
4. Select the Server Updates tab and verify the radio button for Medium is selected:
5. Select the Client Updates tab and verify the radio button for High is selected:
6. Click OK to save your changes.