The official blog for Windows Server Essentials and Small Business Server support and product group communications.
EPS Team Blogs
[Today's tip comes to us courtesy of Chris Puckett]
One frequent question often asked of SBS 2003 server installations concerns the order of installing the components, upgrades, and updates that have released over the years. For the most part, the best approach is to install the items in the order they were released. For those of you planning on installing Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (aka WSS 3.0, SharePoint 3.0) and WSUS 3.0 on the same server, this guidance is no different and both installations should go smooth if you install WSS 3.0 before installing WSUS 3.0.
How to install SharePoint 3.0 and then WSUS 3.0.
1. Install SBS R2 including WSUS 2.0.
2. Install WSS 3.0 using the side by side installation steps in the white paper. Complete all steps.
3. Upgrade to WSUS 3.0.
I know there will be plenty of people who may have an immediate need for WSUS 3.0 and later on down the road find they have a need for WSS 3.0. If you install WSS 3.0 after WSUS 3.0, the SharePoint setup will complete, but the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard that runs after setup will fail to create a configuration database and WSS 3.0 will not be functional. To fix this, you need to install the hotfix from KB 934790 and then run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard.
Screen shot of Error:
To resolve the issue at this point:
1. Close the error dialog.
2. Install the SharePoint 3.0 hotfix package from KB 934790. You will have to call Microsoft to obtain this hotfix package.
3. After you apply this hotfix, you must run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard. To do this, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard.
NOTE: This is the same wizard that you run in Step 3 of the WSS 3.0 white paper. You only need to run this wizard once to completion after installing the hotfix.
4. Complete steps 4-6 in the WSS 3.0 white paper to complete the SharePoint 3.0 side by side installation on SBS 2003.
To avoid the error above when installing SharePoint 3.0 after WSUS 3.0:
2. Upgrade to WSUS 3.0.
3. Install WSS 3.0 using the side by side installation steps in the white paper. Only perform steps 1 and 2 in the white paper at this point.
4. Before performing step 3 in the WSS 3.0 white paper, install the SharePoint 3.0 hotfix package from KB 934790. You will have to call Microsoft to obtain this hotfix package.
5. Complete steps 3-6 in the WSS 3.0 white paper to complete the SharePoint 3.0 side by side installation on SBS 2003.
http://alpesh.nakars.com/blog/wssv3-application-template-installation/ A helpful blog post http://www
To do this cool thing... http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/sharepoint/techinfo/gboverview
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2007/06/26/to-do-this-you-need.aspx To do this cool thing...