Hello,

Here are the steps which I followed for successful movement of the PROD SCSM 2012 SP1 environment to the DEV SCSM 2012 SP1 environment.

  • I added the secondary management server (SCSM DEV) on the prod Environment.
  • This installation followed with the proper MSI file which was provided with a hotfix from Microsoft.
  • Took a backup of the PROD database which will have the secondary MS entry in the SCSM DB.
  • Restore the backup on the DEV SQL server.
  • Followed the steps for changing the SQL server name and changing the SCSM DEV server name on the DB. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh914201.aspx.
  • Changed the database name registry setting to point to the restore DB on the test SQL server.
  • Stoped the System center services on the SCSM DEV server as below. (Which was added as Secondary MS for PROD Env)
  • Open the registry editor (Start -> run, type regedit)
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\System Center\2010\Common\Database
  • There are two keys that can be configured here - one for the server name (DatabaseServerName) and one for the database name (DatabaseName)
  • Start the System center services on the SCSM DEV server. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh914223.aspx
  • Now I promoted the SCSM DEV server as Primary MS in the DEV environment. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh914188.aspx
  • Cleared the health service cache folder on the SCSM DEV server.
  • Now I was able to open the SCSM console on SCSM DEV. It was connected to the proper SQL server from DEV.

For getting the SCSM DW on the DEV server, followed the below steps.
Installed the SCSM DEV DW with new DW databases.

Removed the existing DW registration from the SCSM DB on the DEV environment using the following cmdlets.
 

Un-registration of SCSM DW from CMDB : 
 Import-Module 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2012\Powershell\System.Center.Service.Manager.psd1'

 Once after importing the cmdlet, I ran the following cmdlet to remove the DW registration.

 $class=get-scclass -Name Microsoft.SystemCenter.ResourceAccessLayer.DwSdkResourceStore

get-scclassinstance -class $class | remove-scclassinstance

 

 Now I registered the SCSM DW in the DEV environment and it was successful. 
 

Reference :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2012/04/22/moving-the-service-manager-and-dw-databases.aspx

Thanks

Santosh Killekar - Support Engineer (System Center)

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.