As per Carol’s introduction post, she's letting you know what's new and hot in the docs for this month.
Reminders: Follow us on twitter (@TheRMSGuy) and join in our new RMS peer community at www.yammer.com/AskIPTeam.
Dan (on behalf of the RMS team)
The Documentation Library for Azure Rights Management has been updated on the web and the latest content has Updated: April 1, 2014 at the top of the topic.
Summary of the documentation available:
Plus, the Rights Management sharing application guides and FAQs:
Because there was a new release of the sharing application this month, changes for these are also listed in this post. And if you're looking for a list of resources to help train end users and convince them why they should be protecting important company files, you might be interested in the new curation: Protect your docs!
The sharp-eyed among you might have noticed that we're started to update the docs to reflect the new branding - from Windows Azure Rights Management to Azure Rights Management (or its short form, Azure RMS). Similarly, other docs are also being updated to reflect the change. This will take a while, so be patient, but we've made a good start this month!
We value customer feedback and try to incorporate it when possible. Although we can't promise to make the docs perfect for everybody, we are committed to continual improvement. If you have any feedback about the docs for Azure RMS, email AskIPTeam@Microsoft.com.
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the last update (March 2014).
Rights Management sharing application administration guide
- Updated to add two new sections for functionality added to the latest release: Suppressing automatic updates and Changing the default protection level of files.
Rights Management sharing application user guide
- Updates to support the latest release:
Azure Rights Management
- Updated the high-level definition with specific examples. Also changed the link from the Microsoft Rights Management (RMS) Team blog to the Information and Support for Azure Rights Management page for a more extensive list of resource options.
RMS for Individuals and Azure Rights Management
- Updated to correct the link to sign up in the How users sign up for RMS for individuals section.
How Applications Support Azure Rights Management
- Previously titled "Windows Azure Rights Management in Office 365", this topic has been updated to include all the applications that support Azure Rights Management, with updated information about the latest Information Rights Management (IRM) features from Office.
Comparing Azure Rights Management and AD RMS
- Updated for readability, so that it's easier to compare the main differences between the two versions of Rights Management. Version-specific information is removed, with a link to the new Requirements for Azure Rights Management topic, for a single, authoritative source. In addition, confirmation added to the Cryptographic controls for signing and encryption section that Azure RMS is compliant with FIPS 140-2.
Collaborating Using Windows Azure Rights Management Within Office 356
- Retired. The information from this topic is now in How Applications Support Azure Rights Management.
Requirements for Azure Rights Management
- New topic that lists the requirements to deploy Azure RMS, including the subscriptions that are available, which computers and mobile devices are supported, and which applications support Azure RMS. It also lists any current restrictions or limitations. Although this information was available previously, this topic collects it into a single location for easy reference.
Information and Support for Azure Rights Management
- Updated for a new section, Downloadable documentation, which explains how to download the TechNet pages that you want to save locally and read offline, or annotate or print later. This information was previously in this topic, but in the Search tips. It was put into its own section to make the information easier to find.
Terminology for Azure Rights Management
- New terms added this month include MSDRM and MSIPC, and the often-used industry abbreviation of ERM.
Azure Rights Management Deployment Roadmap
- Updated to include a reference to the new Requirements topic, and the addition of configuring custom templates.
Planning and Implementing Your Azure Rights Management Tenant Key
- Updated for the following:
Activating Azure Rights Management
- Updated to include instructions how to activate Azure RMS by using the Azure Management Portal, and updated to link to the online cmdlet reference help. In addition, the licensing information that was in this topic is now moved to Requirements for Azure Rights Management.
Configuring Custom Templates for Azure Rights Management
- New topic that provides information about and instructions for how to create, publish, and refresh custom rights policy templates for Azure RMS. In addition, you can now remove (archive) the default templates.
Protecting Content with Azure Rights Management
- Retired. The information from this topic is now in How Applications Support Azure Rights Management and Configuring Custom Templates for Azure Rights Management.
Configuring Applications for Azure Rights Management
- Previously titled "Integrating Office with Windows Azure Rights Management", this topic now contains information for configuring all applications and services that support RMS. The Office version-specific information is moved to Requirements for Azure Rights Management.
Deploying the Azure Rights Management Connector
Enabling IRM Services in SharePoint Online
- Retired. The information from this topic is now in Configuring Applications for Azure Rights Management.
Enabling IRM Services with Exchange Online
Deactivating Azure Rights Management
- Updated to include instructions how to deactivate Azure RMS by using the Azure Management Portal, and updated to link to the online cmdlet reference help.
Helping Users to Protect Files by Using Azure Rights Management
- New topic that consolidates previous topics from this section that are now retired, and includes information about the RMS sharing application.
Verifying Azure Rights Management
- Updated with links to the new topic for testing instructions, Helping Users to Protect Files by Using Azure Rights Management, a link to the configuration steps in Azure Rights Management Deployment Roadmap if testing is unsuccessful, and a link to the usage logging topic, Logging and Analyzing Azure Rights Management Usage.
Publishing Protected Content in a Word Document
- Retired. The information from this topic is now in Helping Users to Protect Files by Using Azure Rights Management.
Consuming Protected Content in a Word Document
Publishing Protected Content Using Outlook Email
Consuming Protected Content Using Outlook Email
Logging and Analyzing Azure Rights Management Usage
- Updated throughout, to link to the online cmdlet reference help.
- Updated to include the Azure Management Portal, and changed the reference and link for the Office 365 administration cmdlets so that it now goes directly to the latest Manage Windows Azure AD using Windows PowerShell topic. The Remove-AadrmRoleBasedAdministrator topic is similarly updated.