You receive message "To export a list, you must have a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible application" when trying to export a list from SharePoint.
You have multiple versions of Office installed on your workstation (Office 2013 and Office 2010 or Office 2007).
NOTE: This solution doesn't apply to scenarios when the following 2013 applications are installed: SharePoint Designer, OneNote or InfoPath
To export a list from SharePoint when SharePoint Designer, OneNote or InfoPath is installed, go into the registry by typing regedit from the Run line and rename the SharePoint.OpenDocuments.5 key (ex. SharePoint.OpenDocuments.5.old) under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
** This key will be added back to the registry anytime you run a Repair/Update of the Office 2013 program and will be have to renamed/deleted again.
Would you please be so kind as to provide an actual fix for this? We shouldn't have to modify the registry in order to export to Excel. That's what I call a horrible user experience. Have your User Experience manager give me a jingle @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Please *actually* fix this.
I found that this error occurred when using Google chrome Version 37.0.2062.103 m. I also have Office 2013 installed including OneNote...attempted regedit, and it didn't fix the problem. I attempted to test it in IE 11 and it worked fine..also note that
I have Windows 8.1 64 bit. Removed the regedit that was recommended since it didin't fix the problem with google chrome....guess I'll just have to do this in IE from now on.
Awful this is why I am getting rid on Sharepoint have been using and supporting for years and its a real nasty product.
And they say that the cigarette companies are the ones whose customers have heart attacks and die from using their products.
Has this been fixed?
This post is from February 2014, and I am getting this error today (11/19/2014). What is the status can someone please update? Thx!
I too am getting this error on a users laptop. The funny thing is; he has not had an issue exporting lists from Sharepoint until today...
As Yogander has asked, any update on a fix?
Article is published in Feb of 2014 and factually incorrect. I am wondering if MS is verifying published solutions at all. However, I am mostly wondering: almost 1 year after the issue is identified - do we have a fix for the issue?
Have Office 2010 SP2 installed, removed SharePoint Foundation support from Lync 2013 Basic client and checked I have no SharePoint.OpenDocuments.5 key in my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT but still get the same error. A real fix would be appreciated!
Dear Microsoft, Please provide some sort of status on this issue. Our users/customers would really appreciate it.
If anyone found out anything on this, please post it. We all will be grateful to you.
None of these worked. Garbage. Just another in a long list of bad User Experience using MS products...
UPDATE. So I am not certain what did it but this is what I did.... I did not find the key: SharePoint.OpenDocuments.5 key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT but I only found 1. I named it to SharePoint.OpenDocuments.5.old.
Then, I went into SP designer because even though above it states that SP Designer 2013 has nothing to do with this it is the ONLY application I installed so I did the Control panel>programs>Designer 2013 and disabled it as stated above.
Then I did a repair on office 2010.
Then rebooted and excel exports as it should
SIGH...but I cannot do anything with access yet so still looking into that. If you follow these instructions I would try to do one at a time and post what worked for you to save other users time and trouble. Also, MS get your act together...
Sorry, I should have pointed out that I just did a search of the entire registry and I cannot remember which group I found it under but it wasn't the one suggested in the article above.
Look at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SharePoint.OpenDocuments\CurVer, to see which of the key's is 'active'. Mine said SharePoint.OpenDocuments.4 was current version, so that's the one to rename.
FYI: I just received this error today. I was using Chrome. I tried it in Internet Explorer and it worked. Just wanted to let everyone know of this shortcut in the meantime while they try to find a fix for it!