Some of you reading this post might think that Operations Manager 2007 is great, but not quite perfect, so you might want to provide some feedback. The Operational Data Reporting Management Pack is an easy and automated way to provide feedback regarding your Operations Manager experience, in particular regarding how Management Packs behave in your Operations Manager environment.
The Operational Data Reporting Management Pack automatically gathers anonymous information from Operations Manager and sends reports to Microsoft on a weekly basis (you have to opt-in). The data in the reports is used to improve the quality of Management Packs and Operations Manager 2007.
If you opt-in to sending the data to Microsoft, Operations Manager automatically runs the Operational Data Reports on a weekly basis (Saturday at 2AM). The reports are exported to XML format, packaged into a CAB file and then sent to Microsoft using the Watson channel – the same way that crashes and other errors are reported. (Be sure your Management Server has internet connectivity so it can send the reports.)
We analyze the data looking for trends like 60% of customers disabled a particular rule, or a certain monitor is frequently raising alerts. Then we share the information with other teams at Microsoft that develop Management Packs so that Operations Manager and the Management Packs can be improved over time.
An example report we use is shown below. The top graph focuses on the top alert generating rules/monitors for a given time period across all contributing Management Groups. The second graph displays averages and standard deviations for the same rule or monitor to determine if it’s consistently noisy across environments.
It is also possible to drill in to individual environments to more closely look at alerting behavior for that particular environment.
The latest version of the Operational Data Reporting Management Pack ships with the Operations Manager MP, you can find it
· Here, if you are running Operations Manager 2007 SP1
· Here, if you are running Operations Manager R2
All you have to do is to import the Management Pack and opt-in to send the data to Microsoft. You only need to do this one time and Operations Manager will take care of anonymously reporting changes each week. If you want to see what data is sent, simply run the reports manually by going to the “Microsoft ODR Report Library” section in the reporting space of the console.
Note: Participation in the program is strictly voluntary; you can view the privacy statement here.
If you want to opt in to Operational Data Reporting, perform the following steps:
To configure the operational data reports settings
1. Log on to the computer with an account that is a member of the Operations Manager Administrators role for the Operations Manager 2007 management group.
2. In the Operations console, click the Administration button.
3. In the Administration pane, expand Administration, and then click Settings.
4. In the Settings pane, expand Type: General, right-click Privacy, and then click Properties.
5. In the Global Management Server Settings - Privacy dialog box, on the Operational Data Reports tab, click Yes, send operational data reports to Microsoft (recommended) to send reports or click No, don't send operational data reports to Microsoft to decline participation.
6. Click OK.