Michael Niehaus' Windows and Office deployment ramblings
Bill Anderson talked this morning about System Center Configuration Manager. Of course, the session started with the Top 10 list:
What other uses have you found for SCCM 2007?
10. Use inventory to find out what music you have where.
9. Use task sequences to operate the model railroad in your basement.
8. Use daily mandatory advertisement to automate morning procedures.
7. Inventory and metering to track electronic comic book collection. (The picture of Ed is a new classic.)
6. Use DCM to re-balance your stock portfolio.
5. Inventory and NAP for (controlling/quarantine) kids.
4. Inventory and distribution for wine cellar.
3. Configuration Pack for MD-80 aircraft.
2. SMS in the news. (Ministers dismissed by SMS. SMS the musical. Man divorces two wives in three minutes using SMS. Dead wife contacts man via SMS.)
1. NAP for public restrooms. (Finland's roadside toilets now accessible only by SMS.)
OK, so maybe you have to be there to appreciate the list :-)
Next up, Bill showed a video of Jarvis Davis's OS deployment capabilities at Campus Crusade for Christ, easily operated by his 5-year-old daughter. I suspect you'll be able to watch this yourself soon :-)
On to the real content. First, Bill is covering a lot of information, and while I can type quickly I still can't type as fast as he talks. So I'll do my best in outline mode. Bill summarized the last year since ConfigMgr 2007 has been released:
Now, looking ahead:
Brady Richardson then gave a demonstration of a new prototype showing some thoughts around improving Desired Configuration Management: generating new DCM baselines automatically by watching the installation of an application (comparing before and after).
Bill and Brady then talked about the main pillars for the next version of ConfigMgr:
Maybe by next year's MMS 2009 conference the full details for the next release of ConfigMgr will be available.
There are 42 breakout sessions and 23 hands-on labs related to ConfigMgr 2007 this week, as well as 20+ members of the ConfigMgr product group at the event.
Another great write up by Michael Niehaus on Bill Anderson's "State of the Union" ConfigMgr
A friend showed me this page today with your statement about the OSD video. It is available on my blog...