Posted by Niyi OmotoyinboChief Consultant for 1st Intellit Solutions Limited in Nigeria Directory Services MVP
The sixth release of Windows Server offers a complete platform for building a private cloud. Having worked on Windows Server and Active Directory since the first version, I can say that Windows Server 2012 is the best Microsoft Server Platform so far. From my point of view, the latest version of the Windows Server operating system offers businesses and hosting providers a scalable, dynamic, and multitenant-aware infrastructure that is optimized for the cloud.
But what features make Windows Server 2012 the best?
1. Server Manager, which allows users to view and manage virtually all of the information and tools that affect your server’s productivity, is for me one of the exciting and revolutionary features in Windows Server 2012. The ability to manage and view the state of your servers from a single dashboard is just amazing. I am really yet to get over this feature!
2. Windows Server 2012 PowerShell ISE 3.0, which enables users to write, run and test scripts and modules in a graphical and intuitive environment, is also another great innovation for me. I would say this is PowerShell made easy. Just write it the way you think it, and PowerShell will complete the code for you. You do not have to be an expert… just think it!
3. With the new Virtualization in Windows Server 2012, customers can easily migrate without having to change their current network architecture. The new Visualization enables the migration of a virtual machine from a server running Hyper-V to another one without the need for both of them to be in the same cluster or to share storage. It basically helps you to keep living your life while in the Cloud.
4. High Availability for Network with NIC Teaming, which allows multiple network adapters on a computer to be placed into a team, is another great feature of Windows Server 2012. Up to 32 NICs can be teamed and you can always be assured of uptime.
5. With DCHP Server Failover, I do not have to worry about IP leases if my local DCHP is down. This feature allows users to have two servers serve IP addresses and option configuration to the same subnet. Thanks to DCHP Server Failover, I have got my DHCP back covered!