Microsoft News Center
Xbox 360 continued its lead over competing video-game consoles in August and has now sold more units in the U.S. than any other console for 14 of the past 15 months.
August 2011 highlights from the NPD Group, an independent market research firm that tracks the video-game industry, include:
· Holding 43 percent share of the overall current-generation console market, Xbox 360 sold 308,000 units in August, maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S. for 2011. This marks the sixth month Xbox 360 has had more than 40 percent of the current-generation console market share.
· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in August (hardware, software and accessories) reached $232 million, the most for any console in the U.S.
· During the month of August, the top two console game titles were for Xbox 360: “Deus Ex: Human Revolution” and “NCAA Football 12.”
With a massive portfolio of new blockbuster and Kinect titles coming this holiday season as well as new partnerships with Disney and Ultimate Fighting Championship, Xbox 360 is well-positioned for continued success. Below is a list of some of the top exclusive game titles launching in the coming months:
· Sept. 20th: “Gears of War 3”
· Oct. 11th: “Forza Motorsport 4” and “Kinectimals Now with Bears!”
· Oct. 25th: “Dance Central 2” and “Kinect Sports: Season Two”
· Nov. 15th: “Kinect: Disneyland Adventures” and “Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary”
Also, the highly-anticipated release of “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3” launches Nov. 8th.