Michael Griswold's SCCM Tips and Tricks

Things I have learned and want to share

Manual removal of the SCCM client

Manual removal of the SCCM client

  • Comments 6
  • Likes

As much as I love it, it may occasionally be necessary to remove the System Center Configuration Manager client.  I recently had a customer who could not get a machine to upgrade from 2007 to 2012 and after attempting many things we did a manual clean down of the client then the 2012 client installed just fine.  If you need to remove the client you can do so fairly easily by running ccmsetup.exe /uninstall.  Ccmsetup should exist on all clients, usually under the windows folder.  In the event that the command line doesn’t work here is a list of things I usually check and remove to manually clean-up all the traces of the client so I can try a fresh install.

 

1. SMS Agent Host Service

2. CCMSetup service (if present)

3. \windows\ccm directory

4. \windows\ccmsetup directory

5. \windows\ccmcache directory

6. \windows\smscfg.ini

7. \windows\sms*.mif (if present)

8. HKLM\software\Microsoft\ccm registry keys

9. HKLM\software\Microsoft\CCMSETUP registry keys

10. HKLM\software\Microsoft\SMS registry keys

Comments
  • This is awesome.. Very useful post in unusual times of SCCM client removal.. Thanks a lot. Will share the post on my blog with credits to you..

    http://scorpits.blogspot.com

  • Helped a lot. Very good info..

  • We are having one heck of a time with certain systems that the ConfigMgr Client 2007 install would not complete. Albeit reads a successful installation the "Actions" tab only showed 2 Actions...."Machine and User Policy Retrieval & Eval Cycle".

  • Typically if you only have those two actions it means your client physically installed just fine but it can't find a Management Point (MP) to communicate successfully with. Check your boundaries and location logs to see if it is a lack of knowing where to go, or if it knows but is failing due to something else like an authentication failure or such.

  • Not finding the MP could also be a result of old GPO. check the locationServices.log and the del keys HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client
    GPRequestedSiteAssignmentCode
    GPSiteAssignmentRetryDuration(Hour)
    GPSiteAssignmentRetryInterval(Min)

  • Thanks that worked perfect...

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment