This blog to illustrate how to create a Forms Based Authentication for SharePoint 2010 using SQL database as users repository , users will be authenticated from SQL database instead of active directory
1. From Central Administration –> Manage Web Application , create a new web application
In below option make sure to check NTLM and Forms Based Authentication this will allow users form active directory and from SQL to login ,
note: enter a name for the membership provider and Role manage , these names will be used later on. (you can choose any name).
2. Create SQL Database , from any server (like App servers) that has access to the database server run the aspnet_regsql .exe:
· Select to configure database
· Select the SQl server db name , and provide a proper name for the database , this database will be used to host SharePoint users :
3. Create an admin account under this database to be used to connect to FBA_Users DB , From inside SQL management studio –> Security –> new login
· From General tab , enter password
· From users mapping place FBAadmin as db_owner for the FBA_Users DB:
4. you have to configure the FBA web application to use the SQL database as users’ repository for user management , On IIS for Each Front end Server WFE do the following:
a. Select the web application which you wish to configure:
b. Click on Connection String , create a connection string that points to the database we have just created:
c. Click on Providers , to create a new SQL provider :
Note: ignore the warning message.
d. Make sure that Roles is selected from features dropdown , then click add
e. Make sure to enter the same Role name ,you entered at the web application creation time in a previous step:
Note: application name should be “/” to indicate the root web.
f. To add new membership , select users form the feature dropdowns , then click add:
g. Place the membership provider name:
5. Do the same steps(from a-g) for the Secure store services, this will guide the secure store to authenticate users from SQL database as well.
6. you can optionally download from codePlex User Management webParts from http://sharepoint2010fba.codeplex.com/ which will help site admins to add/edit/delete users from inside SharePoint pages
7. By this the configuration is done , login to site collection , and assign permissions to SQL users from site permission
8. You can assign permissions to users from SQL membership provider as shown below:
Excellent post step by step & very clear..
All the screenshots made it so easy to understand. Thank you.