In this post series I will go through System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3 Power Management showing general overview and prerequisites for the new SCCM 2007 R3 Power Management feature and then deeply go through the step by step to enable and configure SCCM 2007 R3 Power Management feature,
In the Part 1 here I started with an overview about the new System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3 Power Management Feature, and in this post I will go through the required step by step to Update Configuration Manager Clients for Power Management, and how to enable or disable the Power Management Client Agent,
Before you can use power management in Configuration Manager 2007 R3, you must distribute the hotfix (KB 977384) to upgrade client computers in your site hierarchy. This hotfix is downloaded as part of the Configuration Manager 2007 R3 installation but client computers in your site are not automatically upgraded. During the client hotfix installation, you can configure a Configuration Manager 2007 package and program to install the client hotfix on computers using Configuration Manager 2007 software distribution. If you do not configure a package and program during installation, you must manually create these before you can deploy the patch using Configuration Manager.
Use the following procedure to create a Configuration Manager 2007 package and program for the hotfix installer (if you did not so this automatically during setup) and to distribute this package to computers in your site hierarchy.
How to Create and Distribute a Package and Program for the Hotfix Installer
1. In the Configuration Manager console, open the New Package Wizard and specify the following values:
· Name: Enter KB 977384 - Advanced Client Hotfix.
· Comment: Enter a descriptive comment for this package such as KB 977384 - Software Update for ConfigMgr 2007 SP2 (KB 977384).
· On the Data Source page of the New Package Wizard, enable 'This package contains source files.'
· Set the source directory for the package to <\\Siteserver name>\sms_<Site_Code>\Client\i386\hotfix\KB977384.
2. Specify any further properties you require to complete the New Package Wizard.
3. Create a new program for this package and specify the following values:
· Name: Enter KB 977384 - Advanced Client Patch Install.
· Comment: Enter a descriptive comment for this program such as Advanced Client Patch (MSP) Application KB 977384.
· Command Line: Enter msiexec.exe /p sccm2007ac-sp2-kb977384-x86-enu.msp /L*v %TEMP%\sccm2007ac-sp2-kb977384-x86-enu.msp.LOG /m /q REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=mous.
· After running: From the drop-down list, select Program restarts computer.
4. Specify any further properties you require to complete the New Program Wizard.
5. Copy the package to any required distribution point before advertising the package to computers that you want to upgrade.
How to Enable or Disable the Power Management Client Agent
Enabling the Power Management Client Agent in Configuration Manager 2007 R3 makes it possible for client computers in this site to apply power management plans configured in the Configuration Manager console.
The Power Management Client Agent is not enabled by default when you install Configuration Manager 2007 R3.
1. In the Configuration Manager console, navigate to System Center Configuration Manager / Site Database / Site Management / <site code> – <site name> / Site Settings / Client Agents.
2. Right-click Power Management Client Agent and then click Properties. On the General tab of the Power Management Client Agent Properties dialog box, enable the option Enable power management on clients.
3. Click OK to close the Power Management Client Agent Properties dialog box.
In the coming post I will go through the step by step to configure reports for Power Management.
Part 1 "Configuration Manager 2007 R3 Power Management Overview" can found here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/01/09/system-center-configuration-manager-2007-r3-power-management-part1-overview.aspx
Part 2 "Update Client for Configuration Manager 2007 R3 Power Management" can be found here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/01/11/system-center-configuration-manager-2007-r3-power-management-part-2-update-clients-for-power-management.aspx
System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3 Delta Discovery http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/01/23/system-center-configuration-manager-2007-r3-delta-discovery.aspx
System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3 Dynamic Collection: http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/01/23/system-center-configuration-manager-2007-r3-dynamic-collection.aspx
Step-by-Step how to Audit Configuration Manager 2007 Activities: http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/01/17/step-by-step-how-to-audit-configuration-manager-2007-activities.aspx
Are there going to be any further posts on this topic?
yes, coming soon.
Will Part 3 be completed?