The First Week

The First Week

• Likes
First I want to thank the many people that have sent me warm wishes on my move to Microsoft directly and via comments on my last blog post. I didn’t make it clear, but both Bryce and I have relocated to Microsoft’s Redmond campus and I’ve just finished my first week as a Microsoft employee.

The week started with a day and of half New Employee Orientation (NEO), which Bryce and I attended with 180 or so other new hires. The attendees included people from all over the US and the world, including the Netherlands, Germany, China, and India. All of Microsoft’s groups, such as legal, finance, and of course development, were represented, as were all levels in the organizational hierarchy.

NEO starts with an overview of Microsoft’s mission statement (to help people reach their full potential) and an introduction to Microsoft’s various divisions and senior leaders. The second part of day one concentrates on human relations (HR) topics like employee diversity and interest groups, payroll and benefits. The morning of day two is entirely occupied with legal information, like the importance of security, definitions of patents, copyright, trademark, and trade secrets.

The amount of factual information delivered could probably fit in a two-hour presentation, but there is a heavy emphasis on Microsoft’s culture threaded through every module. I was impressed by the conveyed importance of diversity, Microsoft’s encouragement on giving to the community through matching contributions, and most surprisingly, the effort to cooperate with customers and partners and to promote a positive image of Microsoft both locally and globally. Nevertheless, I was familiar with much of the information through my many interactions with Microsoft throughout the last 10 years and so was a bit bored.

With NEO behind me I spent the rest of the week meeting with many different people in the core operating systems division (COSD) and attending various meetings. For the near future I’ll be working with the client performance team analyzing and addressing Vista performance issues. While features such as Superfetch, a scenario-based memory management system, and I/O prioritization help to improve the performance of the operating system from an end-user perspective, the addition of constant search indexing, the side bar with its gadgets, the defragmenter, and regular volume snapshots all conspire to erode their gains.

Comprehensive performance instrumentation of everything from disk I/Os to context switches and hard page faults is active on all Vista builds deployed internally and end-users can simply open a desktop shortcut to submit a trace of any sluggish system behavior they experience. The team’s job is to determine the cause of the behavior and make recommendations to other teams for improving their design or avoid multi-component interactions that lead to pathologic situations.

The performance team consists of some amazingly talented people and the tools they’ve developed internally for visualizing and exploring the trace data provide a powerful view into the minutest details of the system’s operation. I’m having fun using them to look at what happens when I do something as simple as open the start menu and I hope to show them in an upcoming blog post.

One of the most frustrating aspects of the first week is that I still have no working Microsoft email account. For apparently legal reasons Microsoft doesn’t create an email account until the first day of employment, and after that everyone is resigned to the fact that “it takes a while for information to propagate through the system”. In my case, I didn’t fill out a form on the first day because I didn’t have two forms of ID with me, and I didn’t realize that it would hold up a bunch of things. Once I found that it was holding things up on Wednesday, I got it turned in it looks like things are moving and I’m hopeful that the email will start working. I just wonder if all the emails that people have sent to the account will be sitting there waiting for me when I access it.

Probably of most importance, however, is the outcome of the various meetings I’ve had with the Sysinternals/Winternals integration team. I’m pleased to report that Microsoft’s number one priority is not only keeping the tools freely available, but preserving the Sysinternals community including the newsletter, the forums, and my blog. While we’re still brainstorming how to make this successful in the long term, I’m pleased to announce the first step in the transition, which is the introduction of a new Sysinternals EULA, that I believe is even more permissive than the EULA in place before the Microsoft acquisition, since it allows for wider use of Sysinternals utilities within a company.

In the near future, the next step will probably be to move the tools to the Microsoft download center, which will increase download capacity. (No, they won’t be wrapped in .MSI files). I, and Microsoft, believe that this also demonstrates Microsoft’s commitment to keep the tools freely available. I’ll keep you posted as the rest of the transition plan unfolds, but rest assured that Sysinternals, though it might end up looking different, is here to stay.

Originally by Mark Russinovich on 7/31/2006 10:33:00 PM
Migrated from original Sysinternals.com/Blog

# re: The First Week

sweet; thanks for clarifying microsoft's intent to keep your utilities free.

i hope that in the future some of your utilities (such as process explorer, registry and file monitors) will ship as standard with windows.

7/31/2006 11:43:00 PM by byron

# re: The First Week

I hope they dont move the tools behind the annoying "WGA-FIREWALL"

if they do, that will finalize my move to linux.

8/1/2006 12:09:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Well, that sound great. Out of interest, are some of these tools going to be added to a powertoy pack for vista or even be included in it?

Then again, your probably sworn to secracy =P

8/1/2006 12:34:00 AM by Stephen

# re: The First Week

Wow---what a great move for you. I can't believe one of the top Windows guys in the world had to sit through orientation. I had a good chuckle about that. =)

8/1/2006 12:37:00 AM by kshipper

# re: The First Week

I'm sorry to hear that Microsoft doesn't take Sysinternals tools seriously. If Microsoft makes us pay for the tools they believe are worth paying, why do they let sysinternals tools for free? Is Microsoft going to continue suporting the tools, or the most of them are becoming abandonware?

8/1/2006 1:42:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

It's odd how Microsoft puts such an emphasis on portraying themselves favorably to society at large, but when it comes to the geek community, their reputation is in the toilet because of things like IE, DRM, WGA, TC, and their perceived disdain for OSS.

8/1/2006 2:08:00 AM by Barry

# re: The First Week

Great for you and Bryce! What about everyone else? What happened to Wes, for example?

- Drew the former 'softie who moved to a startup . . .

(drewc@essentialsecurity.com)

8/1/2006 3:49:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Thanks for the clarification regarding the sysinternals tools availability.

I'll cancel my panic downloads of all the tools now :-)

8/1/2006 4:06:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Quote: "I hope they dont move the tools behind the annoying "WGA-FIREWALL"

if they do, that will finalize my move to linux."

So you are using an illegal version of Windows, otherwise you wouldn´t mind.

8/1/2006 4:18:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

The new EULA is better, thanks.

8/1/2006 4:57:00 AM by Petri Ala-Annala

# re: The First Week

it sure is great news that they seem to want to keep the sysinternals free, accessible and simple - great news

8/1/2006 5:22:00 AM by cw1972

Go Mark!

Show them how to do it... properly!

8/1/2006 7:32:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Sounds all very promosing; new EULA seems eminently fair, the desire to keep Sysinternals free and separate, your new job 'description'.

I hope the bright talented people such as yourself can overcome the restrictions that come with working inside Microsoft.

8/1/2006 7:34:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Great! It's really good to hear that Microsoft is going to let you guys keep the sysinternals brand almost seperate from Microsoft.

I was wondering what the status is on the DVD video set though. I am an expert at most system issues, but watching the previews for those videos last week really taught me A LOT OF THINGS!! I was wondering if you guys had a time plan (heh it's August 1 now!!) on when it might be released... I know I did the pre-order, but I can't even wait for that e-mail!! THanks a ton guys! You guys rock... sysinternals forever!

8/1/2006 9:17:00 AM by Dani Sarfati

# re: The First Week

Hmmm, sounds like you may be in a position to influence one aspect of Windows philosophy that drives many of us crazy -- which is the attempt to second-guess what the user wants. When it guesses right, hooray. When it guesses wrong, it can be extremely frustrating! SuperFetch sounds like it may fit into that category.

8/1/2006 10:29:00 AM by Pops

# re: The First Week

You said that all of the tools will remain free, will the same be true of source code. A college that has recently visited your site mentioned some of the source code is missing. Will source code be available as it was in the past?

8/1/2006 11:53:00 AM by Anonymous

Mark:

I am not sure what you mean by a more permissive EULA. Now your EULA states something to the effect of

"If Mark isn't providing a good tool and is providing a half-way tool, you are not authorized to work around the half-way stuff that he has done and improve upon it"

Line that states: - "work around any technical limitations in the software"

Good luck to you at MS.

8/1/2006 12:03:00 PM by vasu

# re: The First Week

I fully welcome your (and MIcrosoft's) decision to keep the utilities freely available. While the EULA does seem more permissive on the surface, it seems, at least to me, that source code will probably be withdrawn, because what's the point of having the code if you can't do anything with it, and because I can't see MS integrating any utilities into Vista while code is floating around out there. The part of the EULA that relates to reverse-engineering certainly presupposes closing the source, if not for the current suite of utils, then for future Sysinternals utils.

What the hell. I wish you all the best. Maybe you can turn Vista into a platform that appeals not only to consumers.

8/1/2006 3:02:00 PM by ruy_lopez

# re: The First Week

Well, I must admit that I was a skeptical at first. I wouldn't say that my fears are completely allayed, but I feel a little better this week.

The dynamic duo may no longer be on the streets of Gotham, but at least they are still on the right side.

8/1/2006 3:40:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Great to hear about the utils remaining free, and in their current zip file setup. Is this true for the code to?

On the cheeky side, any chance of getting some of the winternals stuff via MS gold partner or msdn subscription?

I cannot describe how hopeful I am that vista won't be a dog now you've made this move. Its beta performance is shocking. Good luck with that.

Are you willing to share what level you joined MS at? L68 would be too sweet I'm sure.

8/1/2006 7:24:00 PM by rivet

# re: The First Week

will any part of the Sysinternals tools be added to windows?

8/1/2006 8:25:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

"I'm sorry to hear that Microsoft doesn't take Sysinternals tools seriously."

WTF are you talking about? It doesnt say anything at all like that in the posting. Learn to read.

8/1/2006 9:52:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

In answer to the question about the Sysinternals Video Library, it has gone to replication and we hope to be able to take and ship orders by the end of the month.

Btw, the videos were always going to be sold by David Solomon Expert Seminars (www.solsem.com), not Sysinternals - so that part didn't change with the acquisition.

--David Solomon

President, David Solomon Expert Seminars, Inc.

8/1/2006 10:51:00 PM by David Solomon

# re: The First Week

Great to hear about the videos. I too have pre-ordered, and look forward to their release.

What about the Winternals software? I haven't been able to gather the extra cash for an administrator pack, yet.

Any chance of ERD Commander showing up in our Action Pack updates? Can't hurt to hope. It would make a wonderful stocking stuffer for all the good little Partners/OEM builders.

8/2/2006 12:11:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

"Wow Mark, it's great to hear that microsoft is going to left you bla bla bla...". I'm sure that microsoft propagandist are going to wet the trousers hearing such coments. Bye bye forever Sysinternals, I,m not going to read this blog anymore. What happened to Matt Pietrek's blog too? He was a great guy too but since he is in microsoft he is not the same anymore.

8/2/2006 1:42:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

[quote]will any part of the Sysinternals tools be added to windows?[/quote]

Yeah! I'd like to know too.

Process Explorer is my preference over the current task manager.

8/2/2006 2:37:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Since David Solomon joined the conversation...

Are you expecting a call from Bill or Steve any time soon???

8/2/2006 3:50:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Down with Task Manager! Up with Process Explorer!

Well, Task Manager does have the network performance tab that is nice... but other than that, PE is the way to go.

Reading about SuperFetch I am left hoping that I can turn it off.

It'll be fine for my computer at work, but for my home (gaming) system, I know exactly what I want in memory and work diligently to keep Windows from making my decisions for me.

A lot of people are dis'ing WGA, but I don't really know why. I swear this isnt' flamebait. I am genuinely curious as to what is so bad about it.

One guy said that Microsoft doesn't value your tools because it is going to keep giving them away for free. Is he saying that if Microsoft had decided to start charging for them that he would be happier? I doubt that.

Sysinternals and Winternals are going away. Everybody needs to understand that.

Those entities are now part of Microsoft.

There will be changes.

There will even be changes that some people don't like.

That's life; that's progress. For better or worse.

I like to think that the changes will be for the better.

I can't tell the future, but all this naysaying, second-guessing, and putting down of Mark and Bryce is entirely counter-productive.

They took the jobs. They aren't going to quit just because a few hundred people call them sell outs.

Mark and Bryce still have the same goals they've always had. They still have the best interests of the little guy in mind.

Have faith.

8/2/2006 10:27:00 AM by Jason

# re: The First Week

What does this move mean in terms of your lawsuit with (I think it was) Best Buy?

8/2/2006 12:55:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Bestbuy Lawsuit Settlement Info http://www.enterprisenetworksandservers.com/newsflash/art.php?650

8/2/2006 1:11:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

As always, Mark, your blog was interesting and amusing to read.

You wrote, "One of the most frustrating aspects of the first week is that I still have no working Microsoft email account."

So all in all, this week can not have been too frustrating, because as a workaround Bill Gates could still send you an e-mail to your Sysinternals e-mail address ;-)

You wrote, "I’m pleased to report that Microsoft’s number one priority is not only keeping the tools freely available, but preserving the Sysinternals community including the newsletter, the forums, and my blog."

This is good news definitely! - Hm, I assume Microsoft is trying to increase the number of their fans ;-) Well, as long as both sides will have their benefit.

I'll be waiting for next week's episode "Week 2 @ Microsoft".

Karl

8/2/2006 1:51:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

"One would think they would value the opinion of the geek community more, and it would probably cost them a lot less than the amount they spend on charitable matching funds and such."

I'd much rather have Microsoft giving to charities than trying to please the slashdot crowd.

8/2/2006 1:51:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Let me say one word about Dani's statement above, "Also regarding the guy who is against WGA-FIREWALL, they would only care if they are using illegal versions of Windows..."

This point of view is to simplistic.

Imagine this: I have bought my car legally. I can show you the bill holding the vendor's confirmation that he got his money.

Nonetheless, every morning before I may use my car to drive to my office, I am forced to report to the nearest Mitsubishi store and show my contract of purchase.

I assume that most people will consider this idea inacceptable.

How much different is the WGA check?

The thing about the WGA check that I do not like is the assumption that any Windows user is a potential thief although the majority are not.

Even at court, the law attorney has to prove you are guilty, and you are innocent as long as your guilt has not been proven.

Karl

8/2/2006 2:07:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

I'm pleased by the change in license - it seems a little ambiguous about "you", but Mark's comments suggest I can now put the Sysinternals tools on my university department's machines - nice.

The WGA notification thing is a little irritating for me in one respect (as a Winlogon notification package, WgaLogon.dll will presumably be constantly present, yet serving no useful purpose - particularly on a Campus Select licensed installation!) - but the "Validation required" downloads, which I suspect 'anonymous' means? A very irritating speed-bump, particularly to us Firefox users.

I'd be curious about the Heisenberg aspect: how big a performance hit does all that performance monitoring itself inflict?

8/2/2006 3:04:00 PM by James

# re: The First Week

180 during NEO? Sounds about right.

It was strange to go through orientation when the number of people started was larger than any company I worked at before.

kshipper: Actually, NEO isn't the "here's where the source code is kept" session. It's more about company culture, with a lot of emphasis on our responsibilities to customers (including geeks, which I thought was already fantastic -- and that was before I interviewed).

8/2/2006 4:55:00 PM by Keith J. Farmer

# re: The First Week

Wow, thanks for sharing with us Mark. We were wondering how it would go at first. My biggest concern was hoping 'SysInternals' wouldn't go away. And since that isn't going to happen, you just made my week.

8/2/2006 6:10:00 PM by zridling

# re: The First Week

Glad to hear you are happy with your employment. Why am I not surprised that you were bored during an orientation? "help to improve the performance of the operating system from an end-user perspective" -- hmmm, doesn't that imply detecting what the end user does? Or maybe a wizard to optimize performance? I used to have a negative view of the home networking wizard, until using it revealed it was a pretty good tool for newbie networkers. Either one is a pretty tall order, but successfully executing one of them would be a great way to befriend the gamer/enthusiast segment.

8/2/2006 7:12:00 PM by Heath

# re: The First Week

Well, I guess the "welcome aboard" chain of events has changed over the years... I remember meeting Bill at the Residence Inn one morning in the mid 80's when he was doing the greeting ritual during breakfast to about half a dozen new people. He sort of made the assumption that I was part of the group but was somewhat less than enthused that I was there instead working with a competitor (just having the continental breakfast).

The move for you is probably a real exciting trek, but I'm concerned that it will spell an net loss to the Windows community. I know that the intent is to keep SysInternals as it stands (sort of), but I doubt you will continue to have the freedom to openly pass on the same depth. I'm sure that the non-disclosure rules alone will drastically slow down future development efforts that we all have enjoyed and made our lives a little bit easier.

But I still hope it works out for you.

8/2/2006 10:26:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

"Although I do understand that software companies have a right to fight against piracy, they should not treat their customers like potential criminals."

mmm...sounds like what the record copanies do.

Anyway, Glad to here back from you Mark. Can't wait to hear more about your experiences.

8/3/2006 12:41:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

If your email is still not working, you should complain to the boss of those guys who create your alias... I don't like them either.

8/3/2006 3:28:00 AM by Para

# re: The First Week

I would like to give a hopefully clarifying statement on my previous message in which I commented on WGA:

The message started, "Let me say one word about Dani's statement above ..." (just as a help to locate the message)

I guess my comment was not about the same WGA component which Dani's statement was about:

When reading the term WGA, WGAtray.exe immediately came up to my mind, you know the nasty "important update" that will - once installed - check on every startup if your Windows has mysteriously turnt into an illegal copy overnight and which also will phone home.

It is this WGA-utility which I had in mind when I wrote my comment and which I still consider inacceptable.

Dani's defending words, however, were about the Genuine Windows Check you have to pass before you are allowed to start a download. (I know so far no WGA check when downloading security patches.)

I think this Genuine Windows Check is ok and justified, because nobody should expect Microsoft or any other software vendor to give free support/free updates to people who did not buy their Windows / office / whatever.

The WGA check on the MS servers is just their doorman who will either let you in or who will not. It is somehow comparable to the doormen in any company's building.

Summary:

From my point of view, the WGA check required by MS download serves in order to keep software pirates out, is legitimate, but installing the little tattletale WGAtray on the customers' systems is not.

Karl

8/3/2006 4:21:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Glad to hear things are going well - any news on what will happen to ERD Commander?

8/3/2006 10:05:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Your small anecdote about still not having email says more about Microsoft than a thousand press releases.

I can see why they're destined to fail.

8/3/2006 1:34:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

From my beta testing, WinRE desperately needs a solution like ERD Commander. Come on Microsoft, make us proud and bundle the ERD Commander with Vista!

Congratulations Mark and Bruce! Live long and prosper.

8/3/2006 7:40:00 PM by Adam Leinss

# re: The First Week

..."check on every startup if your Windows has mysteriously turnt into an illegal copy overnight"

It's great -and terribly funny- how you resumed all the nonsensical excuses Microsoft use as reasons why we legit users of their OSs need to accept their WGA intruder.

And when you say

..."and will also phone home" you describe the exact reason we feel so uneasy with them.

I don't have anything to hide from them, but anyone who'd say that Microsoft is on its right to spy on your personal computer would seriously need a doctor ASAP.

Thanks for so intelligently exposing Microsoft's new "toys"

8/4/2006 1:55:00 AM by Kenneth

# re: The First Week

I can see why they're destined to fail.

You obviously haven't worked at many big companies, this quite common place to have things take a week to 'propogate', i.e. people not doing their jobs correctly.

It's a shame there are so many 16-year old slashdot kids posting anonymously with their worldly experience of the software industry.

Anyway, the process explorer is indeed a lot nicer than task manager, however for your average user it's far too complex. So an advanced mode perhaps?

8/4/2006 7:02:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

[quote]"I hope they dont move the tools behind the annoying "WGA-FIREWALL"

if they do, that will finalize my move to linux."

So you are using an illegal version of Windows, otherwise you wouldn´t mind.[/quote]

I run a legal version of Windows but WGA pushs me to Linux anyway. I see no reason why should I care about MS's needs [to fight piracy] after I paid in full for my license to run W. This WGA check is an additional burden on honest people introduced after sale and without permition. I “Just say No” to WGA (maybe even on expence of my security). Because I consider MS as unethical operator, I move to Linux — this is my choice.

Mark: my sincere good wishes to you. Whatever I think about MS policies is unrelated to my gratitude to you for your community deeds. Even if we forget about tools (which are excelent), your enligtening teaching activity helped me among many.

8/4/2006 11:56:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

The new EULA appears to effectively kill the sysinternals tool-suite. (this is meant in partial humor, with minor fear that it could be true).

But to detail:

1)New EULA says we can't work around any technical limitation in the tool set. Under terms of MS's rule to never call bugs "bugs" (they are knowledge base articles, or case numbers/ids, incidents, behaviors or "limitations", but never "bugs"). But given that a "technical limitation" is another euphonism for "bug", we can assume that this statement really reads "You are not allowed to work around any bugs in the tools".

2) You are going to work for MS. Eventually, you will have minions to do the day-to-day maintenence of your tools. Of course once your tools are made OLE, COM, COM+, DCOM, VisualStudio, NET, Passport, WGA...etc, compliant, they will be of standard MS quality -- which is one reason the tools were invented in the first place -- to examine crash dumps and isolate problems. In other words, they will become ridden with "technical limitations", which, the new EULA states, we are not allowed to work around. >:^)

Ergo - tools to become dead.

Ok, maybe I'm being pessimistic, (or is it being a "realist" as most pessimists say [is there a difference?]).

Still would be nice if we could work around -- or *FIX* bugs. Maybe some of the tools could become pilot MS "open source" projects (now ya know just how far I'm breaking with reality -- *sigh*)....

Best of Luck -- (why do I feel a need to say Goodbye & will miss you? ... [resistance, futile?] :-))

-l

p.s. -- Moved to Redmond? Eek! Big transition by itself!

8/4/2006 12:18:00 PM by Linda W.

# re: The First Week

How can not giving him an e-mail account mean that Microsoft is going to fail? Why would any company give someone an e-mail address to their company when that person is not yet officially an employee?

8/4/2006 3:28:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Cool, tnx for sharing, that was really interesting :) also i'm very pleased to hear that MS decided to keep your wonderful tools for us to enjoy. If it wasnt coz of tools like these, i probobly would have migrated to linux way before. Im looking forward for your next post, take care /babak

8/4/2006 9:18:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

DrewC - I and the majority of the Winternals products team are busy working on the integration work that Mark mentioned in his post.

As far as the next exact career move for me once that is completed, I'm still trying to determine that, as are many of us at Winternals. Thanks for your thoughts.

Wes

8/4/2006 9:20:00 PM by Wes

# re: The First Week

Well I`ve always thought moving to Microsoft would be the next logical step for you. Congratulations!

I sincerely hope you`ll have time to continue working on the great software collection that has made the job of this system administrator a fair bit easier.

Good luck at MS, and it`d be nice to see (traces of) Winternals software integrated in upcoming Windows releases ;)

-Joost Muller

8/4/2006 10:48:00 PM by Joost Muller

Hey, Kenneth,

I am afraid in your message, dated 1:55 AM, August 04, 2006, you are "beating the wrong dog", me :-(

Look for the messages "signed" by Karl. I guess you will see that I am not really defending the daily WGA notification. The opposite is true.

Karl

8/5/2006 3:46:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

How can not giving him an e-mail account mean that Microsoft is going to fail?

it shows a lack of action which is much like most of its products in athe last few years.

8/5/2006 4:15:00 AM by werejag

# re: The First Week

Panic download of Systeminternals tools complete.

I now breathe easier.

GL to both of you!

8/5/2006 7:10:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

I'd love to see all (or nearly all) of your tools beeing integrated into vista. Most people download them anyway, so MS could at least put them onto the DVD.

8/6/2006 6:32:00 AM by Anonymous

???????, ?? ???? ????????. for

Mark Russinovich and David Solomon.

8/6/2006 6:36:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Can't we keep the MS-bashing on slashdot, and just see what happens?

8/6/2006 9:04:00 AM by Rabies

# re: The First Week

Thanks for the update Mark! I went through NEO in May and found it similarly engaging. Thankfully, we only had to sit through NEO-light - I was told it used to take a week 8|

Happy to hear your eyes have been added to the crew inspecting submitted Vista PerfTraces! That's very cool.

- Regards

Chris (heading into building #40 this fine Pacific Northwest Sunday to beat on the WDK)

8/6/2006 11:22:00 AM by Chris Russell

# re: The First Week

"So you are using an illegal version of Windows, otherwise you wouldn´t mind."

"Also regarding the guy who is against WGA-FIREWALL, they would only care if they are using illegal versions of Windows... if that is, then too bad for you!"

Ah, so not liking WGA automatically makes a person a thief.

That's some kool-aid you got there.

8/6/2006 12:27:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Good luck. You and MS will need it.

8/6/2006 12:47:00 PM by Christoph Weber

# re: The First Week

I just finalized my move to Linux last month, BTW.

Good read. Excellent insight.

8/6/2006 1:30:00 PM by Martindale

# re: The First Week

Do they let you play with xgl?

8/6/2006 3:00:00 PM by cyber_rigger

hi mark,

So, what is your new email id ?

BR,

~A

8/6/2006 7:30:00 PM by Anjan

# re: The First Week

Oh snap, I did some googling and I don't think Mark & co can count as low as L68.

8/7/2006 1:05:00 AM by Poopy McPoop

Mark,

I give up 6-9 months before you suffocate in the diversity and all the oxygen of your creative juices is sapped. Get our of M$ before the brain washing is total and you are fully assimilated.

8/7/2006 7:55:00 PM by Anonymous

Hi

I am a big fan of u guys Mark, Bryce and David Solomon.

I highly appreciate ur move to Microsoft as we all hope we see better improvement in upcoming versions of windows.

Can u tell us when ur new book about windows vista internals will come or some article that tells what are the kernel(revolution) improvement or changes in windows vista from its predecessors.

Regards

Danish Ahmed

8/8/2006 1:21:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

"Microsoft has a long history of snapping up talent and technologies to strengthen Windows. Remember Windows Antispyware? 3rd party software. Virtual PC? 3rd party software. MSAV? Scaled down version of CPAV. DEFRAG? Scaled down version of Norton Defrag."

Actually...it's a scaled down version of executive Software's Diskkeeper... read the Help About..

8/8/2006 9:54:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Glad you'll be fighting the good fight within Microsoft's wall rather than from outside of it. With you as a guiding hand I can only think of a better future. Seriously dude, your tools/seminars helped me waaaaaay more than anything from Microsoft ever could. Good luck and don't mind the haters.

8/8/2006 11:43:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

"Without any fanfare, Microsoft updated the employee count on its Web page of corporate data Wednesday. The new numbers reflect a net addition of more than 10,000 people worldwide in the fiscal year ended June 30, bringing the total to 71,553. In raw figures, it's the biggest annual increase in the company's history."

So 180 per week is just about right.

8/8/2006 12:04:00 PM by Anonymous

Mark,

After the first month of brainwashing please go have a chat with Anders and have him tell you have the .net was a direct followup to Delphi which followed from TP. The basic strategy of M$ is buy, steal, sap, and sell. Absolutely minimal innovaton ever. I.E. the scripting capabilities of modern Windows is pathetic. Take a look at apple's Automator, and I am not a mac fan. Xgl on Suse 10.1 blows Vista away. Please reconsider your movement to M$, it is not too late.

8/8/2006 8:26:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Good luck with the move! I look forward to more powerful tools and Vista!

8/9/2006 5:55:00 PM by John Baughman

# re: The First Week

So, will the source still be available for the select tools already available?

(please... please... please...)

It gives me something to read and learn more about what Windows is doing underneath the hood.

Thanks again and good luck again!

8/9/2006 6:00:00 PM by John Baughman

# re: The First Week

Awesome you guys... I love the sysinternal tools you guys have created...

I do hope they stay free...

And good luck with you're Microsoft adventures..

8/11/2006 12:18:00 AM by imp_squared

Mark,

Just a comment about the new SysInternals EULA. There are two mistakes in the French part :

"EXONÉRATION DE GARANTIE. ... est à votre seule risque et péril..../...modifier. La ou elles sont permises "

should read :

"EXONÉRATION DE GARANTIE. ... est à vos seuls risques et périls..../...modifier. Là où elles sont permises .../... "

I wish you well in Microsoft.

/Pierre

8/11/2006 2:32:00 AM by Pierre Decrocq

Wes and company:

Well, if you're interested in a security startup in Seattle . . .

No. I'll stop my usual sales pitch. Good to know you're still around and hope y'all find the right next place to be. I know for a fact that the company wasn't only Mark and Bruce (though they're relatively godlike in the Windows pantheon).

The only down-side about this I can see is that I have one less reason to move to Austin. :-)

- Drew

(P.S. Yes, for anyone who might follow the link, my own blog currently sucks. Gimme a coupla weeks.)

8/11/2006 3:31:00 AM by Drew: The Security Geek

# re: The First Week

Hi Mark. First off, congrats on the new job.

Secondly, I was wondering whether or not your new job at MS affect your ability to be at the hands on troubleshooting class next month. Any thoughts?

JR

8/11/2006 8:37:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

It doesn't have to be illegal. I have valid licenses (actually more than I use), but still run another Windows distribution that is pre-loaded with the drivers I need and the standard software I have to install anyway. This allows me to cut down the time to install a machine from up to two days (applications, configuration and all that stuff included) to less than an hour.

As I have the apropriate licenses, I'm well within my right to do this.

8/14/2006 3:05:00 AM by Anonymous

www.openbsd.org ;-)

8/14/2006 6:58:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

"I'm sure that microsoft propagandist are going to wet the trousers hearing such coments. Bye bye forever Sysinternals, I,m not going to read this blog anymore. "

Good riddance, asshole!!

8/14/2006 2:50:00 PM by Anonymous

Mark,

Best wishes. Now you can actually get paid for all the great work you do :-P

I am 100% greatful that MS is keeping these tools free. I would love to see all of them incorporated into Vista (or preferrably, a Sysinterals powerpack for Windows XP where they are all pacakged into one great set of tools) nudge, nudge.

As for the complainers out there. MS is a company, a company has to make money. Unfortunetly the business guys at MS think they are loosing millions of dollars from pirates. That is why WGA is here.

Personally, I tell windows to ignore the WGA download from Windows Update. The quick little validation button on the downloads page does not bother me one bit... yes I use firefox as my primary browser, yes I installed the IETab plugin so that I can surf MS's websites without the issues I would have if I was running it in native FireFox. No, IETab is not a security risk.

Anyways, sorry this blog entry of yours became such a pissing contest. Best of luck, keep us updated, and thank you for all the years of hard work (and to MS, make sure you use this guy, he knows what he is doing... obviously)!

8/15/2006 4:36:00 PM by Daren

# re: The First Week

Quote: "I hope they dont move the tools behind the annoying "WGA-FIREWALL"

if they do, that will finalize my move to linux."

So you are using an illegal version of Windows, otherwise you wouldn´t mind.

---

Is this why you send your checks via an envelope and not via postcard? You're not doing anything illegal, so you wouldn't mind the amount of and originators of your bills being public knowledge.

I do mind the extra click. I do mind that there's no cookie set in my browser session that could allow me to only validate once per hour, for example.

And, there's no problems at all with downloading updates on a "valid" computer and using it on an "invalid" computer. (I've a friend who bought a copy of WinXP Pro Upgrade, to upgrade from Windows 98SE Retail, and has changed major hardware within (and wiped) his machine 4 different times. Activation doesn't work on his XP anymore, no matter that he IS using it in compliance.)

If Microsoft treats people like criminals, then people will become criminals. Regardless of the fact that MS makes about $21 per copy of Windows XP Pro OEM and about $7 per copy of XP Home OEM, if even that -- they still make massive amounts of money through other channels. I'd almost suggest that they put the OS up as a loss-leader, and then sell productivity apps atop it.

8/16/2006 7:10:00 PM by Kyle H

# re: The First Week

I hope there will be an announcement soon about Winternals. I was about to order Defrag Manager when the company sale was made public. Now I consider buying something else since I don't trust Microsoft to keep the product going - or maybe it will become free? Or bundled with something? I'm really in limbo here until you guys stake out a path.

8/17/2006 3:00:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

I briefly worked for MS Enterprise Product Support and use of your tools was encouraged. So, I don't see MS being stingy with your Sysinternals tools. Hopefully, your knowledge will allow PS Support Setup Engineers to debug memory dumps easier and quicker than they do already (not that the in-house knowledge was inferior in any way shape or form). One caveat - I was let go for violating an unwritten MS policy. I included two sentences from an email from a TAM in an email with a customer. Internal communications from MS employees are not to be shared with anyone outside of MS not matter how insignificant the communications are. Hopefully, your mileage will vary better than mine did. Best wishes to you and Bryce.

8/20/2006 4:40:00 AM by jbmoore

# re: The First Week

Personally: Congrats to you and Bryce on the move; we trust you're still looking out for us. :-)

Professionally: Thank you *very much* for keeping the Sysinternals utilities free and for the more permissive EULA.

Even the smaller utilities have helped iron out many a troubleshooting snag. You've saved the bacon of many an IT professional, myself included, and we haven't forgotten that.

8/20/2006 1:11:00 PM by Wewelsburg

# re: The First Week

Your PSTools and the Windows 2000 Resource Kit made me and my team very successful at my last job. Thanks for all your efforts on behalf of us 'little people' who work with MS stuff.

8/22/2006 1:06:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Mark- I just found ProcessExplorer as a reference from the Microsoft Site and it is truly amazing.

Just wanted to say thanks and wish you luck at Microsoft.

-Gregg

8/24/2006 2:55:00 PM by Gregg

# re: The First Week

Yeah I know I'm one of the slower ones to respond to the "good news" for you cohort (congrats!), but from my perspective, it's the loyal fans of your forensic ability and the cool tools you've written, I think it stinks.

You two were part of a very small group that kept MS semi-honest. I for one am disappointed that everything has been turned over to an "integration" team and the lawyers...

Goodbye Sysinternals... it's been real...

8/24/2006 5:01:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

reading the comments above I fail to understand how people think there aren't any mark or mark++ at msft. I am sure there are tons of real geeks out there who have shapend windows over years.

8/27/2006 2:19:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Congratulations! Your work has been outstanding and it is encouraging to see that MS has given you a job. For those of us who use and administrate MS products, knowing that MS is smart enough to hire passionate freaks like you means they are taking this stuff seriously! Good luck and thanks for all of your contributions to the communinity.

8/27/2006 3:21:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

End of July : Post about the first week.

End of August is now upon us... whats the next post? Gee, this year flew by and I didn't post about what was going on. Entry dated Dec 2007?

Comon Mark, spill already. Even if its just - Wow, lifes so hetic right now, I'll post when I can think straight.

8/29/2006 11:21:00 PM by rivet

# re: The First Week

Response to rivot: I know you probably feel that Mark forgot about us, or that he is too busy to blog, but he is still around. I PMed him about something recently and he got back to me right away. Plus, as you saw when you smitted your post, that comment moderation was on. He is still reading people's comments and approving them (or not, we'll never know).

I am as eager as anyone who reads this blog as to what he says next, yet I'm a litte nervious. A previous poster who says he got fired from MS because he took some inside info and gave it to someone on the outside contributes to my nerviousness. Now I don't know want exactly went down, or who this poster is, but reading his post got me thinking about Mark's future posts. His previous posts are the most straight-forward posts I think I ever read regarding Windows. He said what's on his mind in the most respectful way.

Now that he is part of MS, I'm scared that MS will tell him what he can write about and what he can't on his blog. If he writes anything at all about his work, he might not be straight with us because he has to worry about not offending MS.

8/30/2006 2:15:00 PM by Siera

# re: The First Week

Mark will basically get a T-shirt out of this and MS will get cool source.

Tell Cutler, Wang, Gatlin et all if they need any help with that operating system thingy, Drew Major can help...

8/30/2006 6:46:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

I get the feeling that many people have forgotten the real reason why they "hate Microsoft." It's all the usual, the cliché, "Microsoft is the devil!" and "Bill is evil!"

... or perhaps these people really don't have a reason for hating Microsoft. Mob / sheep mentality. They've heard it so many times that they're convinced that it's the truth. It's the "geek way" (or so it is believed) to hate Microsoft and all the other big companies...

8/30/2006 10:52:00 PM by John S.

# re: The First Week

Well Mark's been gone for about a month and his blog is dead. If you have not had all your Kool-Aid, please, Mark, give us a little honesty about how things are at M$.

9/10/2006 9:34:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

And Microsoft control over the content. This is a dark and sad day for the Sysinternals community. I am sad. :(

9/14/2006 10:14:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

All MS troubles are bikoz of its desire to make mighty computer user from a totally unexpirienced man,lamer. You may teach a monkey to press buttons and play games(and you EVEN can guess what monkey wants!), but it will never became a qualified user.

It's good way to make money, Microsoft. Monkeys very like to feel themselves a clever professional.

9/18/2006 3:06:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

The problem with M$ is that they are a corporatiom. A corporation is a machine programmed, designed and actually legally required to make money for its shareholders by any means. That is what a corporation IS. Read between the lines of a corporate charter or an "articles of incorporation"

If there were money to be made in grinding up babies into powder and selling them, a corporation would do so if there were no anti baby-grinding legeslation in place, (or if the fines for baby-grinding were less than the potential profits, and the PR department could hide it well enough).

Similar ethos goes for corporate competition. Most atheletes compete in a race by aiming to be better than the other guys, but in the corporate world it is easier to win by just breaking the other guy's legs, threatening him away, buying him off etc etc. History shows that kind of "competition" is, unfortunatly, a microsoft speciality.

I wrote that I too "may cry the first time I hear you forced to spout corporate policy over common sense." and I came very close when you wrote "NEO starts with an overview of Microsoft’s mission statement (to help people reach their full potential)" Reading this makes me sick because I am sure that you KNOW the corporate requirement to grind-babies and destroy competitors(if and when profitable and legally defensible)is built into their corporate charter and their true remit to gain shareholder profit.

I am sure you KNOW that a mission statement is nothing but fluff and propaganda (with no legal weight)to confuse the sheeple who are your employees and customers, so it is sad that you are forced to remain silent about this knowlege and thereby tacitly acknowlege the supposed existence of the emperor's non-existent clothes. Anything short of shouting, blogging, proving the emperor's absence of clothes is compromise with the truth.

A small point about sowtware copying by the way. If A copies software from B without paying, A HAS NOT ACTUALLY DIMINISHED B IN ANY WAY. A's claim that B is a thief is logically bullshit because A has not been diminished. It is like me saying that because YOU have not given ME $50 you have therefore stolen $50 from me.

This amazing right to claim money for making copies of works (which does not diminish the originator) is tantramount to legalized mugging. Destroying competion is what keeps the pool of victims so big. If M$ destroy ALL their competition, they will thereby have more or less gained the right to levy a universal computer tax (at a rate even governments would blush about)

I am glad that on the surface things look to be going well (sysinternals community to remain, tools to remain available) and I pary God it may continue that way.

Rant over. Thankyou.

9/28/2006 10:48:00 PM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Looks like it's already over: No activity whatsoever in the blog, no newsletter and no news on his websites since July 2006. Microsoft has clearly abandoned his work and left it here to simply die of starvation. Shame on you, Microsoft!

10/5/2006 10:36:00 AM by Anonymous

# re: The First Week

Man, some people need to RTF blog - he clearly posted a link to his new blog at the top of the page.

I can't believe all the pessimism and negativity over this. Microsoft brings into it's fold two of the most talented and intelligent people about their OSes, outside of itself, and people whine and complain like someone stole their lunch money. Did you ever stop and think... maybe Microsoft wanted these guys to IMPROVE it's product? No, it's much easier to bitch about it than to use your brains.

10/19/2006 11:44:00 AM by Dave