Once you deploy SCVMM, you will want to immediately deploy App Controller, as this is the Self-Service portal for Virtual Machine Manager in a private cloud scenario.
App Controller is a lightweight web based interface to SCVMM based Private Clouds, and Windows Azure. It is very simple to deploy. It consists of a front end website, and a back end database component.
This is not an architecture guide or intended to be a design guide in any way.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 will be installed as the base OS for all platforms. All servers will be a member of the AD domain.
- SQL 2012 with SP1 will be the base standard for all SQL database services.
- DB01 SQL 2012 with SP1 Database Services
- SCAC01 App Controller web server
High Level Deployment Process:
1. Install Windows Server 2012 R2 to all server role servers.
2. Install Prerequisites and SQL 2012 with SP1.
3. Install SC App Controller.
1. Install Windows Server 2012 R2 to all servers.
2. Ensure server has a minimum of 4GB of RAM.
3. Join all servers to domain.
4. Install all available Windows Updates.
5. Add the “DOMAIN\SCVMMAdmins” domain global group explicitly to the Local Administrators group on each SCAC role server.
6. Install the SCVMM Console on the SCAC server.
- From the SCVMM media, run Setup.exe.
- Click Install
- Choose VMM Console.
- Agree to the terms.
- On the CEIP screen, click Next.
- Accept the default path, Next.
- Accept the default port number, Next.
- Click Install.
7. Install a certificate for IIS for the SCAC server
- Open IIS Manager
- Select the server name in the left pane
- Find the “Server Certificates” icon in the middle pane and open it.
- Choose “Create Domain Certificate”
- Input the required information for the certificate. for the common name I typically use the FQDN of the server the cert is being requested for.
- Hit the Select button to choose your enterprise domain CA. Input a friendly name for your cert that you will see in the IIS admin console. I will use “SCAC Web Cert”
- Click Finish.
8. On the SQL database server, install SQL 2012 with SP1.
Step by step deployment guide:
1. Install SC App Controller 2012 R2:
- Log on using your domain user account that is a member of the SCVMMAdmins group. (This is a group you created when you installed SCVMM and will ensure you have rights to SCVMM)
- Run Setup.exe
- Click Install
- On the Product Registration – input a product key for a licensed version, otherwise Eval will be installed with a timeout. Click Next.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- On the prerequisites screen, resolve any blocking issues. Setup will install the IIS role and WCF Data Services.
- Accept the default path and click Next.
- Accept the default Network Service account and port, and click Next.
- On Configure the website – choose the existing certificate we configured in the prerequisites, and click Next.
- On the Database Configuration screen, enter in the name of your SQL database server and leave port blank. On the Instance Name – click the pull-down to select the instance you wish to install to. Use the default database name or change it to suit your naming standards. Click Next when this screen is complete.
- Choose to participate in CEIP and to use MU or not. Next.
- Click Install.
- Setup will complete quickly. Click Finish.
2. Connect App Controller to Virtual Machine Manager
- Open the App Controller web portal.
- Settings > Connections
- Click Connect > SCVMM
- Supply a name for the connection and the server name in FQDN format. Click OK.
3. Connect App Controller to Windows Azure: