There is a new community driven MP available for monitoring Hyper-V and Virtual Machines on Windows Server 2012, for OpsMgr 2012.
This management pack goes beyond the very basic Microsoft Hyper-V MP, and has the following monitoring features:
- VMs Integration Services Version monitor
- Hyper-V Replica Health Monitoring Dashboard and States
- SMB Shares I/O latency monitor
- Hyper-V Hypervisor Logical processor monitoring
- Hyper-V Hypervisor Virtual processor monitoring
- Hyper-V Dynamic Memory monitoring
- Hyper-V Virtual Networks monitoring
- NUMA remote pages monitoring
- SLAT enabled processor detection
- Hyper-V VHDs monitoring
- Physical and Logical Disk monitoring
- Host Available Memory monitoring
- Stopped and Failed VMs monitoring
- Failed Live Migrations monitoring
This MP includes 17 unit monitors that focus on key performance indicators like %HyperVisor Run time, Dynamic Memory Pressure, NUMA and SLAT performance, SMB share latency, and Virtual Machine % Guest Processor and general VM health.
It also includes 23 rules, which primarily collect that same monitored performance data for reporting, as well as an alert rule for failed live migrations. There are also some valuable performance collections for virtual network and storage.
***NOTE: Almost all the performance rules are disabled by default – so create an override MP and turn on the ones you want reporting on.
Here are some snapshots:
Cluster Shared Volume Health
Alert views with knowledge:
State views of your Hyper-V Hosts from a Windows Computer rollup perspective, AND a Hyper-V role health perspective:
Monitoring and Health of every virtual CPU assigned across all VM’s in your environment:
Monitoring of your VM integration services, showing you what is up to date and what is not:
Along with Hyper-V replica monitoring and a dashboard, and key performance views for the performance metrics you want to collect optionally.
If you are monitoring Hyper-V in your environment – this MP is a no-brainer. Good stuff and showcases the value of the community surrounding OpsMgr 2012.