Came across an issue today that was really just a matter of me not reading the fine print.  I figured a quick post on this could help someone with the same issue.

The problem

While attempting to install a database using DBCreateWizard, I was receiving the following error.


Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:    dbcreatewizard.exe
  Problem Signature 02:    6.0.4900.0
  Problem Signature 03:    4a05048f
  Problem Signature 04:    System.Data
  Problem Signature 05:    2.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 06:    49cc5a57
  Problem Signature 07:    2481
  Problem Signature 08:    2c
  Problem Signature 09:    System.Data.SqlClient.Sql
  OS Version:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.274.10
  Locale ID:    1033

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

The Cause

I was installing an operational database for a second Management Group in an instance already containing an operational database, so I attempted to name the database OperationsManager-MG2.

Note: It’s not recommended to host more than one OperationsManager database on a single instance in most environments.  Usually this would be done in a lab or development environment.

The Solution

Name the new database OperationsManagerMG2.

After research most every avenue, I popped open the deployment guide to see if there was anything I was missing about DBCreateWizard.  I didn’t find anything directly pertaining to DBCreateWizard, but after further reading I had a memory refresh.

Page 103, number 12, of the R2 Deployment Guide states, “…do not insert a ‘-‘ in the database name…”.  Doh!