John Howard - Senior Program Manager in the Hyper-V team at Microsoft

Senior Program Manager, Hyper-V team, Windows Core Operating System Division.

Shadow Copy failures: Scheduled task fails with General page initialization failed, error 0x8007000d.

Shadow Copy failures: Scheduled task fails with General page initialization failed, error 0x8007000d.

  • Comments 23
  • Likes

I've rippled through quite a few nagging problems since my server failure at home a few weeks ago. One of the more intriguing problem I only noticed a couple of days ago. One server had not been running scheduled Shadow Copies. When you schedule shadow copies in Windows Server 2003 R2, not suprizingly it sets up a normal Windows Scheduled Task with name ShadowCopyVolume{volume} as shown below.

But, as you can see, it's never run and has status "Could not start". If you double click the task, you get the error "General page initialization failed. The specific error is 0x8007000d: The data is invalid". Once you dismiss the dialog, you see the normal task details, but cannot edit the user field (greyed out and blank). You could however create manual shadow copies, so that pretty much narrowed it down to a problem with the scheduled task rather than shadow copies itself.

Some searching on Technet and the MS Knowledgebase drew a blank (or at least nothing appearing to be directly relevant). There's an article here which gives some information which is close but only allows you to setup the task again with a domain account. I didn't want to do that as the Shadow Copy scheduled task is supposed to run under the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account.

However, I bow to Anil's greater knowledge from his blog entry here, specifically the update part at the end. Indeed, deleting C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18\d42cc0c3858a58db2db37658219e6400_xxxx", deleting the scheduled task, disabling shadow copies and setting it back up again with a schedule creates it correctly.

Thanks Anil!

[This post travelled in time. John is offline for a few days. It may take a while before any comments are published.]

Update June 2008. Apologies, the screenshots are lost in time.

  • I noticed that there was an unknown account with security priveleges to that file before I deleted it.  Similar to another poster...I think mine broke when I promoted to a DC.  This is a permissions issue.  The old machine accounts are gone, but the settings that refer to them are still hanging around in the scheduled tasks.  Thanks very much for posting this.  Immensely helpful.

  • I think mine broke when I demoted the server from a DC to a member server.  This fixed it though. Thank you for sharing the fix with us!!

  • You legend. I also demoted a 2003 machine from FP/DC to just FP. This seems to have worked!

  • Thank you!

    This was the one and only that helped me after a long web sdearch....

  • Well at least someone was paying attention in class. Works great. Thanks a bunch.

  • Thanks for doing all the leg work on this one, John. We had a client call in with this exact problem and luckily after some mad googling I found this post.

  • Great Fix

  • Thanks a lot. that worked!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment