John Howard - Senior Program Manager in the Hyper-V team at Microsoft

Senior Program Manager, Hyper-V team, Windows Core Operating System Division.

Blogs

MSDTC Event ID 4143 and 53258 on Windows Server 2003 SP1 Domain Controller

  • Comments 63
  • Likes

I got hit by a problem on a freshly installed virtual machine using a slipstreamed SP1 installation and promoted to a domain controller. Two events were appearing in the event log which were unexpected.

Source: MSDTC Event ID: 4143 Information
MS DTC has detected that a DC Promotion has happened since the last time the MS DTC service was started.

followed by

Source: MSDTC Event ID: 53258 Warning
MS DTC could not correctly process a DC Promotion/Demotion event. MS DTC will continue to function and will use the existing security settings.

To resolve this, go through the following steps:
- Start/Administrative Tools/Component Services
- Navigate the tree view on the left to:
    - Console Root
     - Component Services
      - Computers
       - My Computer
- Right click on "My Computer" and select properties
- Select the MSDTC Tab
- Under "Transaction Configuration" near the bottom, click "Security Configuration"
- On the Security Configuration screen, just click OK - don't change anything.
- Back on the "My Computer Properties" screen, click OK again to dismiss
- Right click on "My Computer" in the tree view and select "Stop MS DTC"
- Right click on "My Computer" in the tree view and select "Start MS DTC"
- Close the Component Services snapin.

All should now be well again. Hope this helps someone.

Comments
  • Maybe a wrong registry entry set by SP1 ???

    Interesting at least.

    /r

    Benji

  • Indeed, you helped me in a production environment. Thanks.

    Pims

  • Thanks for that - I just came across this odd problem ... very odd that just opening and closing should sort it without changing anything !

    Nice clean start-up now ... thanks !

  • Same bug bit me too, and this strange procedure (like basically change nothing) resolved the problem.

    Heart cheers to the original poster, jhoward!

  • Same bug bit me too, and this strange procedure (like basically change nothing) resolved the problem.

    Heart cheers to the original poster, jhoward!

  • Great help, thank you.

  • I was expecting a step to sacrifice a chicken and stand on one leg.

    However bizarre, it works.

    Cheers!

  • I'm chalking this one up under wierd fixes. Thanks

  • I have discovered the same problem and this appears to have corrected it.

    Was this caused by changing the service permissions in SP1 ??

  • Thank you so much for such a simple fix.

  • Alan (and the literally hundreds of others who have mailed me directly) - Glad the fix works for you too. I've had a dig around and can't find out _why_ this sequence makes a difference, or what the underlying cause is. If I find any more information though, or there's a hotfix made available, I'll obviously publish the info.
    Cheers,
    John.

  • Thanx!!

  • Just tried this fix on my DCs and the error came back on the next reboot. Was looking good for a while there.
    Back to the drawing board for me!

  • Worked for me in a fresh install too. Thanks for the quick and easy fix.

    -JP

  • Thanks from germany. It works for me too.
    Bye, Armin

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment