I've posted a few screen shots of Windows Server 2003 SP1 Release Candidate 1 to give you a flavour....
To do this, I first built a slip-stream ISO of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and installed it under Virtual PC. There's lots of information out on the Internet on how to make slip-stream CDs, but in summary:
Click each thumbnail to view
"From c:\temp\servicepack\i386\update, run "update /S:c:\temp\NRMEFPP_EN" "
anything missing? How's that work?
BTW,I don't have a Virtual PC installed.
The update command simply unpacks the service pack overwriting the base files you grabbed from the original installation CD with the ones from the service pack.
There's a good article about slipstreaming over on Toms Hardware at http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20040908/winxp-sp2-integration-02.html. When I was trying to do this, I did a quick search for "slipstream" on the internet to get the process as it's quite been a while since I last slipstreamed an installation.
The process I described isn't unique to using Virtual PC - all the slipstreaming was done physically on the host. I just installed the slipstreamed image that was created at the end of the day into a virtual pc, but it could have as easily been a normal pc/server.
Hope this helps.
I'm having problems with the slipstreamed installation of Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2003. The cd boots perfectly, but during the copy of installation files, it stops with the following message: "Setup Cannot copy the file: cyclad-z.inf" and the same for cyclom-y.inf. The two files are in the i386 directoy as cyclad-z.in_ and cyclom-y.in_ and I have no problems copying them on another computer. Pressing ESC skips the files and the setup continues and the system seems to be working fine. I have followed the guide at Toms Hardware, I can't see that I'm doing something wrong. What options are you using in Nero? I have set emulation to none, cleared the boot message, Load segment of sectors (hex) are set to 07C0 and Number of loaded sectors are set to 4 - is this correct?
Hi Martin - Sorry for delay in replying - have been enjoying a few days break :-)
I didn't use Nero as I don't have a license for use at work :-(
I used the free cd burner software (cdburn.exe) which is included in the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools which can be downloaded from
Give it a go if you haven't managed to work out the Nero settings....
Hope this helps
Thank you for your answer. After a little bit searching I managed to figure out what was wrong. I simply used the wrong character set. It is set to ISO9660 per default, which means some characters are converted i.e. hyphen is converted to underscore. I changed the character set to DOS, burned the ISO and no files were missing during installation.
Glad to hear the issues are resolved. I'll remember the solution next time I use Nero to do something similar. Have fun playing with the RC.