Forefront TMG SP1 includes some significant improvements to the reporting functionality:
- New look-and-feel for all existing reports – cleaner aesthetics that match other Forefront products.
- User Activity Report: provides detailed information about the activity of specific users.
- Reports added for new features introduced in SP1 - User Overrides and BranchCache integration.
Here are some examples of how the existing reports look after redesign:
This kind of report allows you to see the web activity of specified users. User Activity report does not take its data from the summaries, but extracts it directly from Forefront TMG logs, so the report is always up-to-date at creation time. This is a One-Time report which means that you can’t make a recurring User Activity report. The users can be specified by their username (e.g. contoso\evgeny) or by IP address. Forefront TMG must require user authentication in order to be able to specify users for the report by username, otherwise all web traffic will be marked as anonymous and the report can only be generated by specifying IP addresses instead of usernames.
Here is a walk-through for generating a User Activity Report:
1. Go to ‘Logs & Reports’ à Reporting Tab and click Create User Activity Report Job
2. After typing the new report name in the wizard, a Reporting Details dialog will open. In this dialog you should choose the period of time and list of the users you want to get a report for.
The list of users (and IP addresses) should be separated by semicolons.
3. After that you need to configure publishing location and email address to send the report to, finish the wizard and click Apply the configuration.
4. Select the just created report and click Generate Selected Report. Please note, the generation is expected to take more time than a generation of regular one-time report, since the data is taken directly from the logs rather than from summary tables.
5. And this is the report that we get:
User Override for blocked URL categories is a feature introduced in SP1 which allows the user to override the policy restriction when permitted and access the blocked site. This feature has two reports:
- The first report displays which URLs were overridden most by the users. This can indicate a need to reevaluate the policy regarding these URLs.
- The second report displays a list of ‘Top overriders’ and the URLs overridden by them. If the authentication is not enabled by access rules, IP addresses will be shown instead of user names.
- This report can indicate a possible abuse of the policy by these users and may require further investigation of the users’ actions.
This report summarizes the overall cache utilization for both the Forefront TMG cache and BranchCache. It provides an estimation of the amount of bandwidth saved by the combination of caches.
Author: Gabriel Koren, TMG Test Team
Reviewers: Roman Golubchyck, Ori Yosefi
This new User Activity report looks great, but it doesn't work at all for me. Apparently the user name is not allowed to contain a space, which all of ours do (firstname lastname). This would seem like a major oversight, is there any chance of a fix so the report can be used for those of us with user names containing spaces? Thanks.
Have you tried enclosing the user name in quotes: "domain\john doe"
I've installed TMG2010 SP1 on W2k8 R2 server and the reporting feature desn't work. Reports are completely empty. I have found that turning off the UAC and installing a hotfix TMG-KB980311-GLB.msp should resolve the issue, for me not :(
William, enclosing it in " " throws an error that its an invalid entry. I'm hoping KB2288910 solves it. I'm going to update tomorrow.
same here for me the reports using IP Addresses work fine but through user name they come back empty
I need the new User Activity Report but this report doen´t work on my TMG2010 SP1 with Hotfix KB2288910 on my W2K8 R2. When i generate this report i seen evry Time "Error: Subreport could not be displayed" I can enter IP-Adresses or User in Format Domain\%USERNAME% on both ways i see the Same error.
I'm having the exact same problem than Wolfgang Berns, SP1 and all update available has been applied.
I received a hotfix yesterday from Microsoft and It fixed everything for me the issue was caused by special characters.
Same problem llike Wolfgang Berns
Error: Subreport could not be shown
SP1 and Update 1 present.
Has anyone found a solution?
Hi, the same for me.
I have it on two different servers.
Any suggestion ?
Hi, the same at my site. Using Sp1 + Update2 . Anyone already got some Info about this?
Hi there, i got also the same error - is there any solution?
I'm still waiting to upgrade it SP1 but don't wanna get in trouble.
I have TMG and SP1 installed. In the reports I can see users activity report of the user that I selected OK. I am using TMG in a workgroup but created the user`s accounts in a domain so that they can be authenticated as Web Proxy clients. The thing is that in the Session report, some of them ara authenticated as Web Proxy clients and their corresponding IP as well as SecureNat clients and their corresponding IP too. But most of them appear as SecureNAt clients, without their names.
I would like to track the activity by ALL users name not their IP. How can I do that with TMG?
Yes reporting improved significantly. After SP1 installation now I have BLANK RESULTS , awesome!! and since 6 hours searching and no solution yet!!!