Last week, 3 Windows Client products related hot-fix KB article was released, and they are for Windows Vista and 1 for Internet Explorer. Below are the details:
Windows Vista - 3 KB articles:
· 949707 On a Windows Vista-based computer, you cannot suspend a DFS share root or directory tree by using the SuspendRoot method even if you have the local administrator permission
· 953029 The monitor reverts to a low-power state several seconds after you wake it up by pressing the power button or by using the remote control on a computer that is running Windows Vista SP1 or Windows Server 2008
· 954436 When you capture a screen shot on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, the screen freezes, and you have to restart the computer
It should be June 30 - JULY 6. And what about KB953407, KB953589, KB954436, KB953029, KB950179 and KB953153 for Windows Vista? :) Seem to be published this week.
ALSO, still need to refresh:
1. XPS Essentials Pack MSI to install on XPSP3 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B8DCFFDD-E3A5-44CC-8021-7649FD37FFEE&displaylang=en) - Currently gives an error
2. KB923800 (Offline Crash Diagnostic) and KB924732 (Change Analysis Diagnostic) to install on XPSP3.
3. KB938127 to install after IE7 is installed on XPSP3.
4. KB889333 and KB933873 to install after IE7 is installed on XPSP3.
Thanks for the suggestions, I have update the weblog.
This issue occurs because we have different criterion to judge whether a KB article is for Vista or Server 2k8. As many users know Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 share the same source code, except for some special component, and many fix for Windows Vista SP1 can be installed on Windows Server 2008.
Here, I'm thinking of how to get a better post which can avoid the KB category issues. If there is any idea, feel free to share with me by blog comments or email to me. I will make the weblog a good place to share knowledge. :)
For the other issue, I have to say I can only impact on them, but the result is out of my control. :P
The logical way to avoid KB category issues would be to list KB articles published for both Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 on the same day and allow users to see which hotfix applies to what component and decide which one to get. :)
Btw isn't there ANY way to search only for Vista articles (minus the Server 2008 articles). Why don't they have separate keywords AND some common keyword as well? Currently, I find them in the Knowledge Base using "kbfix/kbqfe" and "6001" keywords. Otherwise pre-Vista SP1 results are all returned as well and it creates a messy mix of pre-SP1 and post-SP1 hotfixes.
And the missing articles I listed previously for many blog posts aren't published on either day, nor on Windows Client day nor Windows Server day.
You are so careful and I really appreciate your efforts on it. Let me spare some time to clean up the back log in one or two weeks;
For the category issues, I think you provide me a good suggestion. I will make out a plan to update the weblog in near future (maybe 2 weeks ago, you will see the revision);
For how to search only Vista KB articles, I have to say currently it is hard. Let me check with the specialty and update on the blog.
Now, I'm thinking of authoring a blog to explain how to judge whether the fix is for both vista and server 2008 or only one of the product.
KB924732 Setup Error in XP SP3. The workaround is to extract the installer executable (self-extracting file) manually.