The Storage Team Blog about file services and storage features in Windows and Windows Server.
This is a summary of recent additions and revisions to the VSS and ASR documentation on MSDN and TechNet.
1. The following new API elements have been documented:
a. IVssComponentEx2 interface (
b. IVssCreateExpressWriterMetadata interface (
c. IVssExpressWriter interface (
d. CVssWriterEx2 class (
e. VSS_RECOVERY_OPTIONS enumeration (
f. CreateVssExpressWriter function (
g. IVssHardwareSnapshotProviderEx::ResyncLuns method (
2. A new topic, "Using Tracing Tools with VSS" (
3. The Remarks sections for the following methods have been completely rewritten:
a. IVssBackupComponents::EnableWriterClasses (
b. IVssBackupComponents::DisableWriterClasses (
c. IVssBackupComponents::DisableWriterInstances (
4. The in-box VSS writer lists have been expanded. These will eventually be consolidated into a single master list.
a. New In-Box VSS Writers for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 (
b. New In-Box VSS Writers for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1 (
c. In-Box VSS Writers (
5. The MaxShadowCopies and MinDiffAreaFileSize registry values have been added to "Registry Keys and Values for Backup and Restore" (
6. The sequence of requester and writer actions in "Overview of the Backup Discovery Phase" (
7. The Events and Errors troubleshooting documentation for VSS (also called the VSS Health Model) (
8. The VShadow command has new command-line options for reverting to a previous shadow copy and for resynchronizing LUNs:
9. The registry value information in "Security Considerations for Writers" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384605.aspx) and "Security Considerations for Requesters" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384604.aspx) has been updated.
9. The registry value information in "Security Considerations for Writers" (
10. A code example was added to "Using VSS Automated System Recovery for Disaster Recovery" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384630.aspx)
Please give our kudos to Diane. Glad to see someone keeping the documentation up-to-date and organized for better usage.