Download it today!
We are pleased to announce the official release of the Microsoft Deployment Solution Accelerator! Microsoft Deployment is the next version of Business Desktop Deployment (BDD) 2007. Microsoft Deployment, the fourth generation deployment accelerator, enables deployment of servers and desktops. Its tools and end-to-end guidance reduce deployment time, standardize desktop and server images, limit service disruptions, reduce post-deployment help desk costs and improve security and ongoing configuration management.
Microsoft Deployment follows the trend for unified deployment tools across desktops, servers, and applications. This release represents an exciting opportunity for thousands of current BDD 2007 users to easily adopt Microsoft Deployment’s new capabilities for Windows Server® imaging and deployment automation. At the same time, Microsoft Deployment continues to enhance Windows Vista® and 2007 Office system deployment using new technologies, like System Center Configuration Manager 2007 or the new multicast feature in Windows Deployment Services.
Microsoft Deployment adds integration with recently released deployment technologies to create a single path for image creation and deployment, including:
· System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Operating System Deployment
· System Center Operations Manager
· Windows Automated Installation Kit
· Windows Deployment Services with new multicast technology
· Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0
· User State Migration Tool 3.0.1
· 2007 Office system
· Windows Server 2008 Server Manager for automated server role definition
· Systems Management Server 2003 with the Operating System Deployment Feature Pack
Microsoft Deployment is the recommended process and toolset to automate desktop and server deployment. It provides detailed guidance and job aids for every organizational role involved with large-scale deployment projects. This release continues to provide automation options to satisfy a broad range of organizations – Lite Touch Installation (LTI) with minimal infrastructure requirements up to the enterprise-class Zero Touch Installation (ZTI) option using new System Center Configuration Manager 2007 deployment features. The new Deployment Workbench tool in Microsoft Deployment offers enhanced flexibility for defining deployment task sequences. Customizable and easy-to-use deployment task sequence templates are provided for client and server deployment.
New Features in this Release
This release marks the first in a series of three Microsoft Deployment releases planned between now and Summer 2008. It focuses on integration with new deployment features in Configuration Manager 2007 as well as features and guidance to support server deployment. Future updates to Microsoft Deployment will add further support for Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista SP1, and System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1 releases.
Microsoft Deployment delivers additional value to Configuration Manager 2007 users by adding complete integration into the Configuration Manager 2007 administrator console and task sequencer as a product extension. Microsoft Deployment combined with Configuration Manager 2007allows users to:
· Dynamically install packages
· Automatically determine user state store locations
· Back up computers and database settings
· Install to computers unknown to the Configuration Manager 2007 database
· Perform offline patching
· Install language packs offline and online
· Monitor deployments using an updated Operations Manager 2007 Management Pack
In addition to the new integration with Configuration Manager 2007, Microsoft Deployment also enhances the Lite Touch Installation for deploying desktops and servers. This release allows LTI users to:
· Deploy pre-release versions of Windows Server 2008, including support for Server Core installation options.
· Automate server role definition using Server Manager.
· Configure disk and network interface cards (NICs), including static TCP/IP configuration.
· Migrate from LTI to Configuration Manager 2007.
· Create custom task sequences or modify task sequences based on new templates for:
o Client template: Windows Vista, Windows® XP
o Server template: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008
o Replace scenario template
· Invoke Web service calls from rules.
· Deploy operating system images using the new multicast feature in Windows Server 2008 Windows Deployment Services.
Where to Find Microsoft Deployment
Microsoft Deployment is available as a free download on the Microsoft Download Center.
The Microsoft TechNet Desktop Deployment Center and the new Server Deployment Center host the Microsoft Deployment process guidance for online reading.
Microsoft Deployment Team Blog
System Center Configuration Manager on Microsoft TechNet
System Center Configuration Manager evaluation software on Microsoft TechNet