Présenté lors du Microsoft Management Summit 2006 à San Diego du 24 au 28 avril 2006, la future version de Windows Server Update Services s'annonce particulièrement riche en nouveautés :
New features and improvements that will be part of the next release of WSUS 3.0.
The WSUS 3.0 Server requires
· Windows 2003
· SQL Server 2005, SQL Express or wYukon
· Internet Information Services 6.0
· .NET Framework 2.0
· MMC 3.0
· Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP1, Windows Server 2003
The WSUS 3.0 management console can be installed on remote systems separate from the WSUS server
Simple Install And Upgrade
Many improvements to replica mode to support branch office deployments
· Move between Replica and Autonomous modes without a reinstall
· Support for language subsetting on downstream replica servers
· Replica’s can sync meta-data from a USS and content from MU
· Support for disconnected replica synchronization
See a single unified view of the status of your organization
· Reporting rollup is in the box!
· Roll up detailed status or summaries
Roll up from autonomous or replica servers
UI reporting based on Rosetta controls
· Print, Save to Excel or PDF
New “Reporters” user role
· Allows read-only access to the server
WSUS 3.0 supports 2 new grouping concepts
· Nested target groups
· Overlapping group membership
A computer can be a member of > 1 group
Eg: Computer 1 is a member of Servers as well as Exchange Servers
Access to drivers and hotfixes via the Microsoft Update (MU) Catalog site
· Tightly integrated with WSUS 3.0 to enable easy drivers and hotfix access
· Improved searching and filtering
· Personalization available to make the MU Catalog customized to your downloading needs
· Stay tuned…
API support for importing 3rd party updates (more on that later)!
Improved Admin Experience
New MMC 3.0 based console
· Allows us to address key feedback
· Column sorting and reordering
· Context Menus
· Host multiple servers in a single console
· Home pages to give a quick overview
· Custom Views
· Additional Filtering views for the results pane
· Integrated reporting “in context”
· Built in email notifications and status
· Allows for a “hands off” approach
What's new in WSUS 3.0?
Thanks a lot for the update:-)
PatchAholic...The WSUS Blog!
I'm hearing rumor from those that attended MMS 2006 that it will only be available via SMS. Since it's going to an MMC app, I would think that it could still be stand-alone.
Please confirm one way or another.
I would like to have the ability to manually push updates(button)for serves and have the confidence they are going to install right away. Reason being, I have a limited amount of time for the update to complete, then within that time I need to be able to get the server back up if something does go awry. Currently planning on just using WSUS for detecting updates on test servers, with HFNetChk for the actual push after testing.
a backup server option would be nice on the client. If the computer could not contact a primary wsus then have a secondary. The secondary could be one of yours or even to microsoft. We have a lot of laptops that go on the road. Some may VPN and get updates, but others may only VPN for a hour and miss the update interval, or even not use VPN to connect to the WSUS server for a long period of time. This leaves computers in an unpatched state and vulnerable. The secondary going to microsoft could be optional since some people dont want patches pushed unless approved. I could see even secondary wsus server as a failover being quite handy