Here's a funny - it happened a while back, but I was sent a link to this story today. The author kept her laptop in the oven when she wasn't at home, since it was a high-crime area and it seemed a non-obvious place for a laptop to live...
Then one day she came home and her partner was cooking french fries... and presumably hadn't looked in the oven before switching it on :)
I suppose it makes a change that the laptop was melted by external factors, rather than the battery causing some internal pyrotechnics.
Even more amazing: the thing booted up and worked just fine!