Official News from Microsoft’s Information Platform
Machine Learning Blog
MICROSOFT SQL SERVER SEQUENCE CONTEST
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft SQL Server Sequence contest promotion will operate (“Contest”).
In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This is a skill-based Contest. The object of this Contest is to correctly answer questions posted on the Microsoft SQL Server Facebook, Twitter and/or YouTube accounts. There will be twelve (12) questions available about SQL Server 2008 R2 to help people learn more about the new features.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on March 2, 2010, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on May 24, 2010 (“Entry Period”). The Contest consists of twelve (12) weekly entry periods (each a "Weekly Entry Period") as outlined in the chart below:
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
· You are a legal resident of the 50 United States and District of Columbia, and are 18 years of age or older.
o If you are 18 of age or older, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this Contest; and
· You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
· You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
· You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
To be eligible an entry must meet the following content / technical requirements:
For purposes of this Contest, each trivia question about SQL Server correctly answered by posting as instructed in the “How to Enter” section below will be called an “entry.”
· your entry must be your own original work; and
· your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
· you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
· your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos, names or images.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
· is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
· promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
· is obscene or offensive;
· defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
· communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
· are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed)
· agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
· understand and acknowledge that the Promotion Parties may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
· understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
· understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
HOW DO I ENTER?
To enter you must correctly answer the question posted by the official SQL Server YouTube, Twitter and/or Facebook accounts on the same platform that the question was asked. Questions about SQL Server will be asked via YouTube videos, Twitter updates and on a Facebook contest tab. Participants must enter their answer on the same platform as the question is posted. Questions posted via the SQL Server Twitter account must be answered via Twitter. Questions posted on the SQL Server Facebook contest tab must be answered within that tab. Questions posted via video on the SQL Server YouTube account must be answered in the comment section for that video.
The following are additional requirements based on the question platform:
a. Answers must be submitted by filling out the entry form provided on the contest tab located on http://Facebook.com/SQLServer
b. Entrants must be a fan of the official SQL Server Facebook fan page (http://facebook.com/SQLServer)
c. Entrants must provide a valid email address within the entry form
a. Entries must be submitted via at message reply to the official SQL Server Twitter account (http://twitter.com/MS_SQL_Server or @MS_SQL_Server)
b. Entrants must be a follower of the official SQL Server Twitter account so that they may be contacted via direct message (DM)
a. Entries must be submitted via a comment attached to the question video published on the official SQL Server YouTube channel (http://YouTube.com/SQLServer)
b. Entrants must have an active YouTube account that accepts incoming messages so they may be contacted via YouTube message
We will only accept one (1) entry per person per week. An individual can enter for a chance to win the Weekly Prize a maximum of twelve (12) times total, once a week for a total of twelve (12) weeks.
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
· Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
· Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
On or around the close of each Weekly Entry Period, we will randomly select one (1) winner from among all eligible entries received during each Weekly Entry Period to win the Weekly Prize designated below. There will be a total of twelve (12) weekly prizes awarded – one per week for twelve weeks.
An entrant who is selected for a Weekly Prize is not eligible to win another Weekly Prize; however, they are eligible to win the Grand Prize.
An individual is eligible to win the Grand Prize if they answer any of the twelve (12) weekly questions correctly. Entrants will receive 1 entry into the grand prize drawing for each weekly question they answer correctly during the weekly contest periods. The grand prize winner will be chosen at random among all eligible entries.
The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than described above.
The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described below.
One (1) Grand Prize(s). A “Suped up” Set-Up. Includes a Wireless Laser Desktop Keyboard and Mouse 7000, Samsung P257OHD 24-inch monitor (1920 X1080), Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass FX3022, and Beats by Dre Studio Headphones, . Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $1,006.95.
Twelve (12) Weekly Prize(s). A Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Netbook. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $329.00.
The total Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of all prizes: $4,954.95
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of the Entry Period. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
· You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
· You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
· If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
· If you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
· Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
We will only award one (1) weekly prize per person. An individual has the potential to win one (1) weekly prize and one (1) grand prize. The max prize number an individual can win is two (2) prizes
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest you agree:
· To abide by these Official Rules; and
· To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and
· That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
· That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contest, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
If you send an email to SQLServerContest@ignitesocialmedia.com within 30 days of May 25, 2010, we will provide you with a list of winners that receive a prize worth $25.00 or more.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052