See all of the top support solutions for our most common issues here
Here’s an issue I worked on a while back that I thought might help some of you in case you ran into the same thing. This involves an issue where the the Multicast Virtual Directory may not install correctly on the SMSWEB custom web site.
Issue: When using the ConfigMgr 2007 custom website "SMSWEB", the virtual directory for the Multicast Service Point does not get created in the custom website. It does get created in the Default Website.
OS: Windows 2008 x86 or Windows 2008 x64 ConfigMgr 2007 SP1 with R2
Part of the error can be found in the mcsmsi.log:
MSI (s) (D0:6C) [14:34:17:480]: Doing action: CcmValidateCustomWebSiteAction ended 14:34:17: InstallInitialize. Return value 1. MSI (s) (D0:6C) [14:34:17:482]: Note: 1: 2235 2: 3: ExtendedType 4: SELECT `Action`,`Type`,`Source`,`Target`, NULL, `ExtendedType` FROM `CustomAction` WHERE `Action` = 'CcmValidateCustomWebSite' MSI (s) (D0:9C) [14:34:17:490]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI37BF.tmp, Entrypoint: CcmValidateCustomWebSiteAction start 14:34:17: CcmValidateCustomWebSite. MSI (s) (D0!54) [14:34:17:530]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding SMSCWSADSPATH property. Its value is 'IIS://LocalHost/W3SVC/1'. [14:34:17] SMSCWS is not specified. Assuming Default Web Site
No errors will be found in the mcssetup.log
Cause: This is caused by the Site Component Manager not passing along the appropriate values during the installation of the Multicast Service Point. The following values do not get passed.
- IISCustomWebSiteName - IISPortsList - IISSLPortsList
Workaround: To work around this problem follow the steps below:
1) Disable the Multicast Service Point role from the properties of the Distribution Point role.
2) On a Windows 2008 x64 server holding this role, open the registry and go to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SMS\MP (Remove for the WOW6432Node for Windows 2008 x86)
3) Get the values for the following registry keys:
• IISCustomWebSiteName • IISPortsList • IISSLPortsList
4) You will need to manually create the key HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SMS\MCS. Using a String Value create the following keys under MCS and add the appropriate data.
5) Enable the Multicast Service Point role and it should install correctly under the custom website of SMSWEB.
Hope this helps,
Scott Ellison | Senior Support Escalation Engineer
237 Microsoft Team blogs searched, 109 blogs have new articles in the past 7 days. 245 new articles found