The Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library have been updated on the web and the latest content has Updated: September 1, 2013 at the top of the topic.
This month sees additional prerelease information for System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager, as well as updates to release versions.
We value customer feedback and try to incorporate it when possible. Although we can’t promise to make the docs perfect for everybody, we are committed to continual improvement. So, keep that feedback coming, and feel free to contact us about anything related to the documentation by using our usual address of SMSDocs@Microsoft.com.
What's New in the Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, September 2013
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the August 2013 update.
Supported Configurations for Configuration Manager
- Updates include the following:
Planning for Sites and Hierarchies in Configuration Manager
- Updated the site expansion section to identify the permissions that the user account that runs Setup (to install the central administration site a part of a site expansion) must have at the stand-alone primary site that is being expanded.
Planning for Site Systems in Configuration Manager
- Updated the Considerations for Placement of Site System Roles table in the Planning Where to Install Sites System Roles in the Hierarchy section for new information about the certificate registration point.
Planning for Content Management in Configuration Manager
- Updated with the clarification that clients that use cloud-based distribution points are not aware of Windows Azure regions, and non-deterministically select any offered cloud-based distribution point.
Technical Reference for Ports Used in Configuration Manager
- Based on customer feedback, added additional information about the ports that you must open during the installation of a site that uses a SQL Server on a different computer from the site server. This topic also includes an update for the port communication (DCOM) that the site server uses to send revocation commands to the issuing CA to revoke certificates that were deployed by using certificate profiles. These certificates are revoked when a device is retired from management, is selectively wiped, or blocked from the Configuration Manager hierarchy.
Prerequisites for Deploying Operating Systems in Configuration Manager
- Updated the prerequisites for Configuration Manager SP1 with a note about the limitations of support for using the Windows ADK with Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
Frequently Asked Questions for Configuration Manager
- Added the following new questions:
What's New in the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library for September 2013
The following information lists the topic that contains a significant change since the August 2013 update.
About Configuration Manager Discovery
- Based on customer feedback, updated to correct the name of the discovery log file. It was documented as ntsvdis.log and the correct name is ntsvrdis.log.
-- The Configuration Manager Writing Team
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.