The Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library have been updated on the web and the latest content has Updated: July 1, 2013 at the top of the topic.
This month sees additional prerelease information for System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager, as well as updates to release versions.
We value customer feedback and try to incorporate it when possible. Although we can’t promise to make the docs perfect for everybody, we are committed to continual improvement. So, keep that feedback coming, and feel free to contact us about anything related to the documentation by using our usual address of SMSDocs@Microsoft.com.
What's New in the Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, July 2013
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the June 2013 update.
Introduction to Configuration Manager
- Updated for System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
Information and Support for Configuration Manager
- Updated the Search Tips in the Search the Configuration Manager Documentation Library section, with the new tip to use official terms that you see in the product UI or in TechNet, rather than unofficial terms or abbreviations that you might see on community sites or in some presentations.
Configuring Site Components in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that only the first ten Network Access Accounts that you specify will be used by Configuration Manager:
Technical Reference for Accounts Used in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager, you can create multiple Network Access Accounts. Only the first ten that you specify are used.
Technical Reference for Log Files in Configuration Manager
- Updated to correct that the application management logs, AppDiscovery.log and AppEnforce.log are located on the client and not on the site server.
Determine the Client Installation Method to Use for Windows Computers in Configuration Manager
- Updated as a result customer feedback, to clarify information about how to upgrade the Configuration Manager 2007 client by using software distribution or automatic client upgrade.
Determine the Site System Roles for Client Deployment in Configuration Manager
- Updated as a result of customer feedback, that the Application Catalog web service point and the Application Catalog website point site system roles are required for Windows-based computers when you want to deploy software with a deployment purpose of Available.
Introduction to Application Management in Configuration Manager
- Restructured to accommodate the new information for System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager, which includes updating the 'Typical Elements of an Application' table with the latest information.
How to Create Applications in Configuration Manager
- Updated to incorporate the latest information, which includes the information that Windows 8 app bundle packages are now supported, the supported limit for the number of files in an application is 20,000, and information about the new option to allow Windows 8 apps to use an automatic VPN connection. Note that information about how to create deployment types that was previously in a separate topic is now included in this topic.
How to Create Collections in Configuration Manager
- Updated for the information that incremental collection evaluation interval is 10 minutes, and removed the reference to the Evaluate Collection Members maintenance task.
How to Manage Collections in Configuration Manager
- Updated with the information about the new client notification management tasks that allow you to download user or computer policy to all members of the selected device collection.
Planning for App-V Integration with Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that App-V 5.0 SP1 is now supported by Configuration Manager.
How to Use Maintenance Windows in Configuration Manager
- Updated for the new option 'apply this schedule to' where you can define whether the maintenance window applies to all deployments, software updates, or task sequences.
Introduction to Remote Connection Profiles in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that although Windows Intune is required if you want users to connect to their work PCs by using the company portal, if you are not using Windows Intune, users can still use the information from the remote connection profile to connect to their work PC by using Remote Desktop over a VPN connection.
How to Deploy Remote Connection Profiles in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarified that If a device leaves a collection to which a remote connection profile has been deployed, the remote connection profile is removed from the device.
Prerequisites for Certificate Profiles in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that the offline certificate templates used by the Network Enrollment Service must have Supply in the request for the Subject name, that an enterprise certification authority (CA) is required for the issuing CA (stand-alone CAs are not supported), that port numbers other than TCP 443 (for HTTPS) or TCP 80 (for HTTP) are not supported for the client-to-Network Device Enrollment Service communication, and that the server running the Network Device Enrollment Service must be on a different server from the issuing CA.
How to Deploy Certificate Profiles in Configuration Manager
- Updated to add information about the random delay you can specify when you deploy SCEP certificate profiles.
Introduction to VPN Profiles in Configuration Manager
- Updated with the information that you can configure Windows 8 apps to open an automatic VPN connection when these apps are started.
Prerequisites for VPN Profiles in Configuration Manager
- New topic that lists the permissions required to manage VPN profiles.
How to Create VPN Profiles in Configuration Manager
- Updated with additional information.
Prerequisites for Wi-Fi Profiles in Configuration Manager
- New topic that lists the permissions required to manage Wi-Fi profiles.
What's New in the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library for July 2013
The following information lists the topic that contains significant changes since the May 2013 update.
SQL Server Preparation for Setup
- Based on customer feedback, updated to clarify the SQL Server best practice that when you use a domain user account, you must also configure the SPN for that account in Active Directory Domain Services.
-- The Configuration Manager Writing Team
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Will the downloadable documentation (ConfigMgr.chm) ever be updated as well: www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx
Yes, we plan to have a new version of the downloadable docs (chm/docx/PDF) after System Center 2012 R2 releases - it's not practical to do this while the docs contain prerelease information and updates are happening at such a regular interval for the new version. When a new version of the downloadable docs is available, we'll announce it on this blog.
Do you even plan to realease some kind of information relating to the schema in the ConfigManager Database?