The Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager has been updated on the web and the latest content has Updated: April 1, 2013 at the top of the topic. There were no significant updates to the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library for this month.
In addition, the documentation for the Upgrade Assessment Tool (UAT) has been updated, to support the official release of this tool. UAT with System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 and CU1 helps you determine whether computers can run Windows 7 or Windows 8. For more information about the release of this tool, see Announcement: System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Upgrade Assessment Tool Has Been Released. To read the documentation, see Configuration Manager Upgrade Assessment Tool on TechNet.
If you came to see us at MMS in Las Vegas earlier this month, it was great to see you, learn how you’re using System Center, and hear what you want from the docs! Based on feedback we heard, two tips that are worth sharing here:
What this query does, is open Bing with a prepopulated search string (of “Configuration Manager”) that scopes the search to just the Documentation library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. Change the text string in quotes to whatever you want to search on, for example, “boundaries”, and run the query. In our example where we’re searching for boundaries, the full search will now look like this: ("boundaries")%20%site:technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library"%20%meta:search.MSCategory(gg682056).
The results you see from the scoped search are from the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Documentation Library only, which means that they automatically exclude topics for Configuration Manager 2007. We heard from customers who use a search string only and then run into problems because this returns results from both versions of the product, particularly when Configuration Manager 2007 topics have been updated in 2012. If you use the query from the link, the MSCategory(gg682056) that is included in the query prevents this from happening.
For more information about this query and how to modify it, see Search the Configuration Manager Documentation Library.
What's New in the Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, April 2013
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the March 2013 update.
Prerequisites for Reporting in Configuration Manager
- Updated for the support information that the reporting services point supports SQL Server 2012 SP1.
How to Install Clients on Mac Computers in Configuration Manager
- Updated the Use a Certificate Request and Installation Method that is Independent from Configuration Manager section for information about to select a specific certificate when more than one certificate is installed that uses the same Subject name. In this scenario, you must run the additional command sudo defaults write com.microsoft.ccmclient SerialNumber -data "<serial number>".
If are you requesting and installing certificates independently from Configuration Manager, be sure to check out the recently published blog post: How to Create and Deploy a Client Certificate for Mac Computers Independently from Configuration Manager
How to Manage Mobile Devices by Using the Windows Intune Connector in Configuration Manager
- Updated the Windows Phone 8 certificate procedure in the prerequisites section to include XapSigntool.
How to Manage User Device Affinity in Configuration Manager
- Updated to incorporate the customer feedback that you should be careful implementing the Audit account logon events and Audit logon events in Windows XP. If you use the default retention policy of 7 days, it is very likely that these events will fill up the Security Event Log and then, standard users will not be able to log on. To prevent this happening, set the policy Retention Method for the security log to Overwrite events as needed. And to allow sufficient data for user device affinity, also set the policy Maximum security log size to a reasonable value such as 5-20 MB.
Planning for App-V Integration with Configuration Manager
- Updated to remove the incorrect reference to the option Load content into App-V cache before launch.
Introduction to Collections in Configuration Manager
- Updated based on feedback from customers who are new to the product. The revised version includes more examples of how and why you might use collections in Configuration Manager.
How to Create Collections in Configuration Manager
- Updated to include the correct attributes that are available when you create a user collection.
Introduction to Endpoint Protection in Configuration Manager
- Updated to include information about where to find the Endpoint Protection client for Mac and for Linux.
How to Manage Antimalware Policies and Firewall Settings for Endpoint Protection in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify the order in which multiple antimalware policies are applied to client computers.
Frequently Asked Questions for Configuration Manager
- Updated with the following 3 entries:
-- The Configuration Manager Writing Team
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.