The Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library have been updated on the web and the latest content has Updated: May 1, 2012 at the top of the topic.
Downloadable documentation will be available soon, to be announced on this blog.
In addition to updating the documentation libraries, we also have two new topics that are added to the Technical Publications for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager:
We have removed the reference to the downloadable quizzes in Configuration Manager 2007 Quizzes. Now that the web-based quizzes are available, expect the downloadable versions to be retired soon. All new quizzes and any updates will be web-based.
We value customer feedback and try to incorporate it when possible. Although we can’t promise to make the docs perfect for everybody, we are committed to continual improvement. So, keep that feedback coming, and feel free to contact us about anything related to the documentation by using our usual address of SMSDocs@Microsoft.com.
What's New in the Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, May 2012
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the April 2012 update.
Supported Configurations for Configuration Manager
- Updated to remove the previously documented limitation that the NetBIOS name must match the first label of the domain FQDN. The SQL Server statements are also updated to include the Datacenter edition and this addition is also made in Planning for Hardware Configurations for Configuration Manager. We’ve also clarified that CU versions for SQL Server are minimum versions.
What’s New in Configuration Manager
- Updated the Sites and Hierarchies section for a new section for Language Pack Support. This information is also clarified in the Client Deployment and Operations section, which contains the information that you no longer install International Client Packs (ICPs) when you want to support different languages on the client.
Planning for Site Systems in Configuration Manager
- Updated the site system role placement for secondary sites. Most site system roles must be on the secondary site server.
Planning for Sites and Hierarchies in Configuration Manager
- Updated for additional information about planning for language packs at Configuration Manager sites, clients, and the Configuration Manager console.
Planning for Discovery in Configuration Manager
- Updated for the new section, Best Practices for Discovery.
Planning for Communications in Configuration Manager
- Updated for a procedure how to manually publish management points to DNS on Windows Server.
Example Scenarios for Planning a Simplified Hierarchy with Configuration Manager
- Updated the Steps Taken section in Scenario 2: Infrastructure Reduction and Management of Client Settings, to clarify that the decision to install a primary site in London instead of a secondary site was a result of assessing the available hardware for a site server, the current number of clients at London (5,500 clients exceed the supported number of clients for a secondary site), and the potential for growth at the location.
Install Sites and Create a Hierarchy for Configuration Manager
- Updated for a new section, Decommission Sites and Hierarchies, for information about how to uninstall Configuration Manager.
Manage Site and Hierarchy Configurations
- Updated for the new section, Manage Language Packs at Configuration Manager Sites.
Security and Privacy for Site Administration in Configuration Manager
- Updated the entry about the Security Configuration Wizard with the link to download the toolkit for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager: System Center 2012: Configuration Manager Component Add-ons and Extensions. This information is also updated in the Security and Privacy for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager guide.
Technical Reference for Ports Used in Configuration Manager
- Updated for the ports used by the new site system roles: the Application Catalog website point and Application Catalog web service point; the enrollment point and enrollment proxy point; and the Endpoint Protection point. Also clarified that Configuration Manager does not support dynamic ports for SQL Server.
Technical Reference for Language Packs in Configuration Manager
- New topic that provides technical details about language support in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.
Planning for Migration to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Updated for additional information about planning for overlapping boundaries if you will install new Configuration Manager 2007 client during the migration period.
About Client Installation Properties in Configuration Manager
- Updated for information about file locations for the /config: /NotifyOnly and CCMENABLELOGGING installation properties.
How to Manage Applications and Deployment Types in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that the Retire management task does not remove any installed copies of the application from client computers.
Security and Privacy for Application Management in Configuration Manager
- Updated for the security best practice of deploying only signed applications for mobile devices so that you don’t have to configure settings that let unsigned applications install and run (“unlock”).
Introduction to Software Updates in Configuration Manager
- Updated for the new Extend Software Updates in Configuration Manager section for information about System Center Updates Publisher 2011 and added a reference to the new scenario topic, Example Scenario for Deploying Software Updates.
Example Scenario for Deploying Software Updates
- New topic that provides an example scenario for how you might deploy software updates in your environment.
Prerequisites For Deploying Operating Systems in Configuration Manager
- Updated for the external dependency, DHCP.
Planning a Task Sequences Strategy in Configuration Manager
- Updated for information about running task sequences in a maintenance window.
How to Manage the User State in Configuration Manager
- Updated for how to create a USMT package and how to restore the user state if the operating system deployment fails.
Task Sequence Steps in Configuration Manager
- Updated the Updated Install Software Updates step for the information that the step cannot suppress restarts if the software update requires a restart.
How to Deploy Operating Systems by Using PXE in Configuration Manager
- As a result of customer feedback, updated to clarify that the exclusion list file can be stored anywhere on the computer and the specified path is used to identify the location.
Example Scenario for PXE-Initiated Operating System Deployment
- New topic that provides an example scenario for how you might deploy an operating system by using PXE in your environment.
Best Practices for Collections in Configuration Manager
- Updated for the new best practice: Do not modify the built-in collections and instead, copy and then modify the pasted collection.
How to Create Queries in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that a query that contains no criteria will return all devices in the All Systems collection.
How to Extend Hardware Inventory in Configuration Manager
- Updated for the information that you must create a hardware inventory class for any MIF files you want to add to inventory.
How to Configure Software Inventory in Configuration Manager
- Updated for an example of how to specify a file type that you want to inventory.
Introduction to Software Metering in Configuration Manager
- Updated to include the reference to Example Scenario for Software Metering in Configuration Manager.
How to Manage AMT-based Computers Out of Band in Configuration Manager
- Updated to clarify that the out of band management power control commands are always available for a collection, even if the collection contains resources that are not provisioned for AMT.
How to Configure Endpoint Protection in Configuration Manager
- Updated for information about using software updates automatic deployment rules to deploy definition updates for Endpoint Protection.
Frequently Asked Questions for Configuration Manager
Updated for the new entries:
What’s New in the Documentation for Configuration Manager
- Updated with a section, What's New in the Documentation Library for May 2012, which lists the topics with significant technical updates since the official publication of the documentation library in March.
Information and Support for Configuration Manager
- Updated the Search the Configuration Manager Documentation Library section to explain how to use the scoped search link, with examples and search tips. Scoped search lets you search for topics that are only within the Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. For example, it excludes links from Configuration Manager 2007 and external sources.
What's New in the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library for May 2012
Configuration Manager 2007 General Supported Configurations
- Updated for the information that Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level and forest functional level is supported with Configuration Manager 2007 SP1 and Configuration Manager 2007 SP2.
Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Supported Configurations
- Updated for SQL Server 2012 and Windows Embedded, which now includes Thin PC, Windows Embedded POSReady 7, and Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1.
How to Manually Publish the Default Management Point to DNS
- As a result of customer feedback, updated with a procedure for Windows Server DNS.
About Heartbeat Discovery
- As a result of customer feedback, updated for information about how to initiate a manual Heartbeat Discovery cycle.
How to Create a Query
- Updated this technical reference topic to clarify that you must have Modify Resource and Read Resource permissions on any collection that contains a conflicting record to reconcile the conflicting records that appear in the Conflicting Records node.
About Configuration Manager Client Installation Properties
- As a result of customer feedback, updated the /mp:<Computer> CCMSetup property with the tip that if the client connects to a native mode management point, typically, you must specify the FQDN for this option rather than the computer name.
How to Capture and Restore the User State
- Updated for information about how to create a USMT package and added a section to restore the user state if the operating system deployment fails.
Install Software Updates Task Sequence Step
- Updated for the information that the step cannot suppress restarts if the software update requires a restart.
How to Provision Computers for AMT
- As a result of customer feedback, updated for a third step to perform before you provision AMT-based computers out of band: Identify the SMBIOS GUID for each computer so that you have this information for when you run the Import Computer for Out of Band Management Wizard. This information remains on the Import Computer for Out of Band Management Wizard page.
- New topic that rolls up the significant technical changes since June 2011.
-- The Configuration Manager Writing Team
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Downloadable docs are now available. For more information, see blogs.technet.com/.../announcing-downloadable-documentation-for-configuration-manager.aspx