The official blog of the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager Product Group
[Today's post is from the Configuration Manager Writing Team]
The Configuration Manager 2007 documentation library and the Configuration Manager 2012 documentation library have been updated on the web and the latest content has Updated: May 1, 2011 at the top of the topic.
This month’s updates incorporate customer feedback for Configuration Manager 2007, and some new information (and updates) for the prerelease version of Configuration Manager 2012.
We will continue to add more information for Configuration Manager 2012 as we get that information from the product group and in response to customer feedback. At the moment, some topics are published without any content to let you know that they are planned. We also monitor page hits and search results to help us plan when to publish the information. To help you find the right information, use the Configuration Manager 2012 search portal.
Note that we are writing for the released product, rather than for any pre-release version, such as Beta 2. As such, there might be some discrepancies with the pre-release version that you are testing and the documentation.
We value customer feedback and try to incorporate it when possible. Although we can’t promise to make the docs perfect for everybody, we are committed to continual improvement. So, keep that feedback coming, and feel free to contact us about anything related to the documentation by using our usual address of SMSDocs@Microsoft.com.
What's New in the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library for May 2011
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the April 2011 update.
How to Configure the WSUS Web Site to Use SSL
- Updated to clarify that the site must be configured to ignore client certificates.
How to Set Address Schedules
- Updated to clarify that the schedule applies to the site that is sending data and not the destination site. This information is also added to the Sender Address Properties: Schedule Tab.
Computer Client Agent: BITS Tab
- Updated to clarify that when you configure the throttling window start and end time to be the same, BITS throttling is always on.
How to Create a Fallback Status Point in Configuration Manager
- Updated to correct the log file locations.
What's New in the Configuration Manager 2012 Documentation Library for May 2011
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the initial March 2011 publication.
Configuring Software Updates in Configuration Manager 2012
- Updated with more information and restructured to accommodate different hierarchy scenarios.
Configure Sites and the Hierarchy for Configuration Manager 2012
- Now contains procedures for configuring role-based administration. Before you use these procedures, read the corresponding planning topic: Planning for Security in Configuration Manager 2012
How to Create Windows Configuration Items for Compliance Settings in Configuration Manager 2012
- New topic with procedures to create configuration items for Windows clients.
How to Create Configuration Baselines for Compliance Settings in Configuration Manager 2012
- Now contains information about how to create a configuration baseline and configure the new purpose option and use the new change revision option.
How to Enroll Mobile Device Clients in Configuration Manager 2012
- Now contains the steps to enroll mobile devices by using the two new site system roles and PKI certificates.
How to Configure Client Settings in Configuration Manager 2012
- Updated with clarifications for configuring custom client settings for when you want different settings for some computers or users.
About Client Settings in Configuration Manager 2012
- Updated for several settings, such as the Computer Agent settings Application Catalog, Install permissions, Suspend Bitlocker PIN, and Agent extensions manage the deployment of applications and software updates.
Frequently Asked Questions for Configuration Manager 2012
- Updated to include the following questions:
How to Provision and Configure AMT-Based Computers in Configuration Manager 2012
- Now contains the steps to provision and configure AMT-based computers, including preparing Active Directory Domain Services, the PKI certificates, the two site system roles, and the out of band management component.
Example Scenario for Implementing Out of Band Management in Configuration Manager 2012
- Now contains suggested step-by-step instructions for how you might deploy Out of Band Management for AMT-based computers, by using a three-phased approach.
How to Manage AMT-based Computers Out of Band in Configuration Manager 2012
- Now contains procedures for managing AMT-based computers out of band by running the Out of Band Management console, powering off computers, powering on and restarting computers, configuring BIOS settings, and running commands, repair utilities, and diagnostic applications to troubleshoot computers.
How to Monitor Out of Band Management in Configuration Manager 2012
- Now contains procedures for monitoring Out of Band Management activities.
About the AMT Status and Out of Band Management in Configuration Manager 2012
- Now contains information about the AMT status values that you can monitor in the console and in reports, including information about the new value, “Externally Provisioned”.
-- The Configuration Manager Writing Team
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.